Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

With the advent of tuition fee's already at £9000 a year and set to go even higher under new government plans how many TSRians have considered studying for their first degree abroad in a European university?

As a UK student would you be eligible to pay any fees studying, say, somewhere like Germany or Netherlands or is this yet another case where being in the EU doesn't benefit us? Would you have to pay your own fees or is there a tuition fee loan you would be able to take out to study in a European university? I feel as if british university education is not worth £9000 or above.

Any perspectives and opinions much appreciated

Edit: Also, how many courses in European universities would be taught in english?

ReputationRep:
    *Bumps*

Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)

Edit: Also, how many courses in European universities would be taught in english?
    Some universities are free and most are a fraction of what we pay here in the UK.
    As for english I wouldn't say many degrees would be taught in English.

ReputationRep:
    I considered it, a few courses in English at many German universities and French ones, I didn't really look anywhere else though. Tuition is quite cheap but there are no subsidies for accommodation (I think the Erasmus scheme?), I've heard student areas are quite cheap though, if you went to one in Paris it would be expensive. You'll have to get some work over there most likely. I think most of them make you take an entrance test as well as your A-levels which might require proficiency in the original language. You might have a few problems with qualifications being recognized by UK employers. Hard ones are obviously hard to get into, health insurance, travel fees, tuition is much lower. But yeah do think it through there's a lot to take into account.

ReputationRep:
    One word: Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jambojim97)
    One word: Brexit.
    Well if we had brexit then we wouldn't have free or extremely cheap education in the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmYourdog)
    Well if we had brexit then we wouldn't have free or extremely cheap education in the EU.
    Exactly. Just saying the prospect of leaving the EU may be a practicality OP wishes to consider. The polls are looking pretty even at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jambojim97)
    Exactly. Just saying the prospect of leaving the EU may be a practicality OP wishes to consider. The polls are looking pretty even at the moment.
    Well it won't be an issue unless the OP is planning on applying to to go to University in July.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to all who posted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)

Any perspectives and opinions much appreciated

Hi, I know quite a few students who study in Europe for their first degree, often in English. It is obviously more complicated than studying in your home country, but there are some great possibilities.

Trinity College Dublin is of course a very famous option, they seem to charge around a third of the UK costs for tuition. Entry is competitive, they have tables of the points required each year.
    Many Dutch universities teach in English, as do many Swedish universities. I tried to post a list here of courses that I had found, but I seem to have infringed some rules. There were *many* courses . . . You can always apply to the UK via UCAS and see what your offers are, take seriously the various challenges, but 'gently' apply - like as a hobby - to some interesting EU universities, in the background. Then at least you'd end up with a choice of, say, Nottingham with AAB or UL (University of Limerick) 420 Irish credits? or would the cross-border hassle be worth the mild stress involved?

by the way - a university degree that gives you a Bachelor with a points score in ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) such as 180 points for 3 years or 240 points for 4 years is valid anywhere and for any job!
    if you wish to get technical about it, since 1989 the Bologna Principle has allowed interoperability between academic institutions everywhere, or nearly everywhere.
    There is an EU law about it (hush!)

As I say, I've recently met students who will study in Switzerland, Milano, Barcelona and Utrecht, starting in September 2016 and I do have friends in Dublin as we type.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.