Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i really want to study economics at university but the thing is i now think my AS grade for economics may not be good enough however my maths grade is aroun B/A so if i get a poor grade in economics but a B or A in maths in AS level would i have the chance to study it at uni.
    I am planning to learn unit 3 and 4 for economics during the holiday so in school when i start year 13 in September i will be able to work hard and score 90% and higher on class test to boost my predicted grade up

ReputationRep:
    Universities care much more about Maths than Economics (so much so that a lot of top Economics courses do not even require Economics A-Level). Assuming your Maths is good, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RooT_Fifteen)
    Universities care much more about Maths than Economics (so much so that a lot of top Economics courses do not even require Economics A-Level). Assuming your Maths is good, you should be fine.
    So even if i drop it does it mattter because they will see that i have done it at AS and wasnt good at it and then ill have to write a personal statement on why i want to do. To me it doesnt make much sense to be passionate about a subject your not good at. I reallly like economics this is actually worrying me so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura887)
    So even if i drop it does it mattter because they will see that i have done it at AS and wasnt good at it and then ill have to write a personal statement on why i want to do. To me it doesnt make much sense to be passionate about a subject your not good at. I reallly like economics this is actually worrying me so much.
    If I was the admissions team, I'd say that it doesn't look particularly great. Getting a low grade in Economics AS and then dropping it will be more detrimental than not taking it in the first place. Getting a high predicted grade won't really help either, as the university may then question your school's predictions upon seeing your AS grade. I think whether or not you should be dropping it really depends on what other subjects you are doing and what the Economics result comes out as.

Bear in mind that there is a difference between enjoying a subject and doing well in a subject. However the question you should be asking is whether you actually do like the subject, or are you telling yourself that you like the subject for the purpose of future career? What will you say to the interviewer if they ask you why you chose to read Economics?

ReputationRep:
    I got a D in economics but had an A in maths and politics although the D was due to a one of mistake in my unit 2 exam which was explained in my reference and i was predicted an A.
    But i still got given a offers for economics and politics at bristol and york as well as politics with economics at bath

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.