The Student Room Group

Bipolar disorder

Hi,

I'm usually in a sense of elation, serious sadness or just all-round feeling numb (like now). I haven't always felt like this - it's only the past 2-3 years. Also, it seems to happen a few days/a week at a time and for no reason at all.

For example, recently, everything was going perfect but I felt really **** all of a sudden and for a number of days.

My personal tutor and a lecturer I am good friends with stated I may be a soft bipolar (?) but that's it from the point of view of others.
Personally, I love it when i'm super happy and confident and I get loads done and feel like I'm on top of the world. However, when i'm sad, it's ever-so bleak and I really don't want to and can't hold a conversation with anyone at all which is a real issue as I need to do this for work (my grad job) and uni.
At the moment, I just feel like I'm not concerned about anything, despite my final year uni exams being 2 days away and me being somewhat behind on revision. I find it hard not to get tired and can sleep 12 hours straight with no struggle.

I just feel really dysfunctional to the point it harms my life and don't quite understand myself. I have considered going to the doctor but he's a family doctor and there's a real stigma against this kind of stuff in our culture; in addition to me thinking it would somehow hold a negative influence over my career with people knowing.

My question is has anyone dealt with anything similar and has, if you got it, support through doctors etc helped you?
Some of the symptoms you describe do sound like bipolar. People who are bipolar experience extremes of happiness and sadness and flip between these emotions very quickly. However, there are several other things your feelings could be such as depression, hormonal imbalance or stress. Mental problems are very difficult to diagnose and are a nightmare to live with if left untreated. You definitely need to seek medical advice from your doctor. I know you said there are some cultural issues, but are they really so important that you should continue to feel the way that you do right now? Your health should come first before anything. It's not just you who will be suffering, if you don't get help other people might suffer too, like your family and friends because they will not like to see you this way. See your doctor and get the help you need my love.
And mental health stuff, legally has to be kept in confidence between you and your doctor and any other medical professionals. Noone at work has to know unless you decide to tell them.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I'm usually in a sense of elation, serious sadness or just all-round feeling numb (like now). I haven't always felt like this - it's only the past 2-3 years. Also, it seems to happen a few days/a week at a time and for no reason at all.

For example, recently, everything was going perfect but I felt really **** all of a sudden and for a number of days.

My personal tutor and a lecturer I am good friends with stated I may be a soft bipolar (?) but that's it from the point of view of others.
Personally, I love it when i'm super happy and confident and I get loads done and feel like I'm on top of the world. However, when i'm sad, it's ever-so bleak and I really don't want to and can't hold a conversation with anyone at all which is a real issue as I need to do this for work (my grad job) and uni.
At the moment, I just feel like I'm not concerned about anything, despite my final year uni exams being 2 days away and me being somewhat behind on revision. I find it hard not to get tired and can sleep 12 hours straight with no struggle.

I just feel really dysfunctional to the point it harms my life and don't quite understand myself. I have considered going to the doctor but he's a family doctor and there's a real stigma against this kind of stuff in our culture; in addition to me thinking it would somehow hold a negative influence over my career with people knowing.

My question is has anyone dealt with anything similar and has, if you got it, support through doctors etc helped you?

I think the most important thing is not whether or not you meet the criteria for Bipolar or not, but rather how to get the support to deal with how you feel and your moods, as they seem to be causing you distress.

If you feel that you will not be able to perform adequately in your exams I would recommend speaking to your tutor or faculty and seeing if it would be possible to get mitigating circumstances.

Is there any other doctor you could possibly see, who isn't the family doctor? It sounds like that would be a good step to start the process of beginning to feel better.
Reply 4
I am very ill prepared for me exams due to how I feel but I can't afford to do mitigating circumstances. Given I'm in my third year, it would mean waiting around another year at university and I'm already 23. I honestly think given I'm able to focus, I'll be able to pass.

Also, I think you're right in saying it doesn't have to be bipolar disorder but whatever it is, the bouts of depression are hard to handle. Especially when all is well and I'm trying my best yet nothing seems to bring me out of it apart from waiting it out.

My hopes are always that I can keep myself super happy for as long as possible but it never works out like that.
My biggest issue currently is being constantly sleepy and down despite being in the best physical shape I've been in.

Quick Reply

Latest