The Student Room Group

[OFFICIAL] AS Edexcel 2 Psychology Unit 3: Biological and Leaning 23/05/2016

Poll

how well did you do in psychology paper 2?

Hey Psychology addicts :hi:
So we all had our first psychology Exam today :woo: hope it went well for everyone :h: i have mix feelings... dunno it wasn't that bad but i didn't do well in some areas :redface: but hoping to do well in paper 2 :jive:
This is an Official thread where we all can discuss any queries and can make predictions :top: plus discussing answers after the exam :biggrin:
If you guys have any revision notes you would like to share please make sure to do so or any useful website would be great :yeah:
there are great Website links in the last thread - make sure to check that too :yep:
Last thread for Unit 1 and 2 (helpful websites): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3967467
I'll share resources if i found any :cute: also i tagged some users that contributed in the last thread... i couldn't tag everyone as i am only allowed to tag 20 :sad: but let them know about this thread too :h:
to discuss answers for today's paper please use the last thread :cute:
:goodluck: for Monday the 23rd of may :woo:
Edit: so we all had out last psychology exam :jive: how did it go? Plus i have added a poll so we all van have an idea... generisable to the population :u:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fatima1998
Hey Psychology addicts :hi:
So we all had our first psychology Exam today :woo: hope it went well for everyone :h: i have mix feelings... dunno it wasn't that bad but i didn't do well in some areas :redface: but hoping to do well in paper 2 :jive:
This is an Official thread where we all can discuss any queries and can make predictions :top: plus discussing answers after the exam :biggrin:
If you guys have any revision notes you would like to share please make sure to do so or any useful website would be great :yeah:
there are great Website links in the last thread - make sure to check that too :yep:
Last thread for Unit 1 and 2 (helpful websites): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3967467
I'll share resources if i found any :cute: also i tagged some users that contributed in the last thread... i couldn't tag everyone as i am only allowed to tag 20 :sad: but let them know about this thread too :h:
to discuss answers for today's paper please use the last thread :cute:
:goodluck: for Monday the 23rd of may :woo:

Heyy, omg how did you find the paper today
Reply 2
Original post by Profanity
Heyy, omg how did you find the paper today

i dunno :redface: i finished the whole paper just in time... however if i had time i could have waffle a bit more :biggrin: it was 50 50 to me and you :h:
i dunno :redface: i finished the whole paper just in time... however if i had time i could have waffle a bit more :biggrin: it was 50 50 to me and you :h:

Same! It was 50/50; some good areas some bad
Reply 4
Original post by Profanity
Same! It was 50/50; some good areas some bad

aha... lets hope for the best and make ourselves ready for monday :excited:
we are talking about the re-sit right?
Reply 6
Original post by anxiousaf
we are talking about the re-sit right?

ermm... i dunno... its the new spec though - so i dunno if the resit exam based on old or new spec plus i think 50% of the stuff is still the same :cute:
ermm... i dunno... its the new spec though - so i dunno if the resit exam based on old or new spec plus i think 50% of the stuff is still the same :cute:

ohh okay, i think i will create another thread only with the resits so I don't confuse people ;p
Reply 8
Original post by anxiousaf
ohh okay, i think i will create another thread only with the resits so I don't confuse people ;p

aha... if you desire :u:
whats going to come up on Monday then peeps?
Original post by emilyisabel

stuff from unit 3 and 4 :lol:
Reply 11

I'm guessing there's going to be something about a key question since that didn't come up in the social/cognitive exam??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beth000
I'm guessing there's going to be something about a key question since that didn't come up in the social/cognitive exam??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think so, and the evaluation of a theory too as that didn't come up either! :-)
does anyone have any example/sample 12 mark questions for the biological/learning approach?
does anyone have any example/sample 12 mark questions for the biological/learning approach?

There is a specimen paper on the edexcel website
can anyone explain me Raine et al... in short as possible :h:
can anyone explain me Raine et al... in short as possible :h:

Scanned brains ( of prisoners who pleaded insane in murder cases.
The aim was to find if there was a difference between the brains of murderers and non-murderers.
The sample were a group of 41 murderers, 39 men & 2 women, (6 with schizophrenia), and 41 controls (6 with schizophrenia to act as controls).
None were on medication, gave them a Continuous performance task during the scan to keep them focused (showed them the CPT before the scan so they understood what to do)
Murderers had less activity in the pre-frontal lobe (reduced rational thinking) and the amygdala (increased aggression in animals).
Animal aggression studies can be linked to humans.

Evaluation:
The study is generalisable due to large no. of participants (82), therefore it is able to represent a larger population.
The study is reliable on account of the PET being a reliable piece which produces objective results, reducing the need for interpretation, therefore allowing the results to be verified by other scientists.
The study has low validity, due to there being no way to determine the cause of the defects, they may have been caused by stress after the murder, therefore cause and effect can't be inferred.
The participants gave full consent and maintained a right to withdraw,
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
Scanned brains ( of prisoners who pleaded insane in murder cases.
The aim was to find if there was a difference between the brains of murderers and non-murderers.
The sample were a group of 41 murderers, 39 men & 2 women, (6 with schizophrenia), and 41 controls (6 with schizophrenia to act as controls).
None were on medication, gave them a Continuous performance task during the scan to keep them focused (showed them the CPT before the scan so they understood what to do)
Murderers had less activity in the pre-frontal lobe (reduced rational thinking) and the amygdala (increased aggression in animals).
Animal aggression studies can be linked to humans.

Evaluation:
The study is generalisable due to large no. of participants (82), therefore it is able to represent a larger population.
The study is reliable on account of the PET being a reliable piece which produces objective results, reducing the need for interpretation, therefore allowing the results to be verified by other scientists.
The study has low validity, due to there being no way to determine the cause of the defects, they may have been caused by stress after the murder, therefore cause and effect can't be inferred.
The participants gave full consent and maintained a right to withdraw,

:ta:
for aim i have written : to measure both cortical and subcortical brain functioning using PET scans in group of members who pleaded non-quilty by the reason of insanity compared to a matched sample of no-murderers :curious:
is this right? you are pretty simple and easy to understand but would you get the same marks for aim as my aim :unsure:
:ta:
for aim i have written : to measure both cortical and subcortical brain functioning using PET scans in group of members who pleaded non-quilty by the reason of insanity compared to a matched sample of no-murderers :curious:
is this right? you are pretty simple and easy to understand but would you get the same marks for aim as my aim :unsure:

Mine is very simple so probably not, I'd need to mentioned the areas being studied and the method used.
Yours is much better, I'm stealing it :biggrin:
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
Mine is very simple so probably not, I'd need to mentioned the areas being studied and the method used.
Yours is much better, I'm stealing it :biggrin:

:lol: quick steal my aim :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest