Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Compulsory year 12 worth experience- Do I really have to do it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My college says that we have to do 21 hours of unpaid work experience for the government to fund our next year- A2's. I was just wondering if it is true that a higher education college can kick you out for not doing work experience?

I want to do engineering at uni, and I haven't found any interesting local engineering companies that I could do work experience for, and I thought it would be better to spend that time doing something productive- e.g. extra reading, learning programming etc. but I don't want the risk of being kicked out nor do I want to do work experience somewhere completely irrelevant and useless.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Work experience doesn't have to be relevant to the course you are interested in at uni. What kind of college are you at because that just sounds **** with this compulsory stuff?

edit: also 21 hours isn't loads, you will still have time to learn new things.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know that's not true. However it never hurts to do some work experience anyway, even if its not related to your chosen career. A lot of employers will talk about "transferable skills" that you pick up in one job and can apply to your next job. Work experience is a good opportunity to build up some of those skills.

21 hours isn't too bad either. You could easily do that in two weekends doing 6 hours Saturday and 5 hours Sunday or something.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.