The Student Room Group

Aqa sociology resit 2016

Scroll to see replies

You lot have jumped them gun
The Qu was examine the factors to the extent of it being more equal
My teacher said it was kinda a trick question...you had to look for factors such as genre scripts, women working, labour saving devices etc....that's the factors
I failed anyways so ah well lol
Original post by Socychoictraphy
I think it went well!

All the short mark questions were great and simple :biggrin:

The 24 marker on couples was a god-send.

However, the 24 markers on diversity caught me off guard :frown: And i only had about 15 minutes left when i started it so i had no time to plan making my essay a bit jumbled up.

WHY IS THE EXAM ONLY AN HOUR LONG FFSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Questions in case anyone forgot:

1. Define what is meant by the term 'dependency ratio'. (2)
2. Give two explanations for why lone-parent families are headed by women (4)
3. Give three reasons for the fall in death rate since the 1900s (6)
4. Examine the view that couples' roles and relationships are becoming more equal today. (24)
5. Using Item 2B, assess the view that traditional family functions are being undermined by family diversity (24)

Do you have god like memory; how did you remember all that haha.
For the 2 marker I wrote the difference between the people in the population in work and the people who are dependent on them eg children and elderly
Is that right
Reply 103
Original post by aimbx
My paragraphs were:

- men and women both work - symmetrical family - young and willmott so do equal amounts of house work and paid work and also spend their leisure time together

-then in my second paragraph I critisised young and willmott view by Oakley and edgells studies. Saying how women still do most of housework and child care

-i then spoke about decesion making and how women make more decesions now but they tend to be minimal ones e.g. what to get for shopping, even though men make big decesions such as about cars, houses etc. I used edgells study to back this up.

-i then did a paragraph on emotional work and dumncomb and Marsden study on it and how men are still ignorant to emotional duties within a family/couple.

Would this answer be any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exactly what I wrote - I also added in about Elizabeth Bott at the beginning and conjugal roles along with Dunne (lesbian households - no set gender roles, more flexibility) and Domestic Violence (linked this to Radical Feminism with Pizzey's study) to counter the argument there is equality within relationships
Reply 104
I'm sure everyone has done great - there's no need to worry! Examiners don't mark you down - they give you as many marks as they can. Everyone's going to have a wide range of answers and they tend to adapt the mark schemes alongside what the majority have wrote anyway :smile:
Reply 105
Yeah, hopefully it was enough.

What did you talk about for the second Q? I nearly ran out of time!

What do you want to get in your resit? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
You lot have jumped them gun
The Qu was examine the factors to the extent of it being more equal
My teacher said it was kinda a trick question...you had to look for factors such as genre scripts, women working, labour saving devices etc....that's the factors
I failed anyways so ah well lol

Were my factors on the previous page ok then? I kept linking it to how it made relationships and roles more equal when compared to the past.

This year's paper really was confusing. Last year's and the previous year's were easier. Let's hope this means they'll be easier on education then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
Original post by aimbx
Yeah, hopefully it was enough.

What did you talk about for the second Q? I nearly ran out of time!

What do you want to get in your resit? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote about the New Right's views of family diversity and lone parenthood (Murray - dependency culture), then criticised it with Postmodernist theory and theorists (Giddens - linked idea of confluent love with Feminist views that women have more freedom, Weeks - linked this to gay and lesbian couples and 'chosen family'), criticised this with Functionalist perspectives (mentioned Parsons and how he thinks N.F. produces two 'irreducible' functions: stabilisation of adult personalities (expressive/instrumental role, warm bath theory) - referred to the item in this too and how they think any other diverse family type is 'deviant' and finally used Chester and neo-conventional family to discuss how he believed the family had retained features since WW2 etc. but mentioned most marriages ending in divorce reaching 50% so diversity in more family types more common (reconstituted, single person households etc). All in all a bit of a mix as I almost ran out of time! One hour isn't long enough for that paper.

Hopefully a B/C - I got a U in SCLY1 last year so anything above that I'll be happy with haha :smile:

What about you?
Original post by grassntai
Were my factors on the previous page ok then? I kept linking it to how it made relationships and roles more equal when compared to the past.

This year's paper really was confusing. Last year's and the previous year's were easier. Let's hope this means they'll be easier on education then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yours seems on point. I know I have failed mine lol.
I deffo Agree with you. I think this has been the hardest paper of the entire spec. We didn't even get a theory to balance it out and the diversity question was like two topics in one. It was really cruel actually😡🔫
We should move on to unit 2. We can't do a thing a out unit 1 now...
Reply 109
You did good on second Q then!

I wrote about the new right and Murray in my first paragraph

In my second one i spoke about a decrease in marriage causing less nuclear families which is essential in the functions of the family

In my third paragraph I said how individualisation and the second modernity is causing diversity

And then in my conclusion to sum it all up I said diversity is present but nuclear family is still the most common and dominant.

And yeah, I'm only resitting the Family paper, as I got a D in it last year but a B in education, so wanna get a high C realistically to even out my AS grade :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 110
Did anyone else talk about factors why roles and relationships are equal but also why there NOT more equal?????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys predictions for the whole paper for unit 2????
& how do we structure methods in context and research methods??? Thanks
So after reading numerous threads about how everyone answer the questions I have realised a few things:

1) Defo got 2 marker
2) I was stumped on the single-mothers one
3) Death rate question was easy
4) I completely answer the roles and relationships one wrong, I thought 'factors' and spoke about how age, income and social class could effect power differences in a relationship (kill me)
5) Traditional values I missed too much out, I mentioned the funcitonalist functions of reproduction and how gay couples can't do that, how cohabiting undermines marriage, single parents being the cause of social decay as charles murray said, then squeezing in Postmodernist argument of how people dip in and out of families (BUT I WROTE HOW 'PAHL' SAID THAT, HE WAS THE DUAL-EARNING STUDY BLOKE KILL ME PLEASE NOW, IT WAS BECK AND THE 'NEGOTIATED FAMILY')

In conclusion:

I have almost certainly not improved on my paper 1 D from last year, I'm not retaking Paper 2 which I got a B in so my AS level grade is still a C. All hope rests on getting A*s in the Unit 3 and 4 exam so I can get a B and go to Uni.

I also found this:

[video]http://captiongenerator.com/89907/Hitler-reacts-to-AS-Sociology-Unit-1-Retake[/video]
Original post by georockman
Do you have god like memory; how did you remember all that haha.

Haha it's only 5 questions they're easy to remember :P I think i got the wording wrong for a few of them tho lol
what are predictions for unit 2?
Reply 115
Original post by SoggyCabbages
So after reading numerous threads about how everyone answer the questions I have realised a few things:

1) Defo got 2 marker
2) I was stumped on the single-mothers one
3) Death rate question was easy
4) I completely answer the roles and relationships one wrong, I thought 'factors' and spoke about how age, income and social class could effect power differences in a relationship (kill me)
5) Traditional values I missed too much out, I mentioned the funcitonalist functions of reproduction and how gay couples can't do that, how cohabiting undermines marriage, single parents being the cause of social decay as charles murray said, then squeezing in Postmodernist argument of how people dip in and out of families (BUT I WROTE HOW 'PAHL' SAID THAT, HE WAS THE DUAL-EARNING STUDY BLOKE KILL ME PLEASE NOW, IT WAS BECK AND THE 'NEGOTIATED FAMILY')

In conclusion:

I have almost certainly not improved on my paper 1 D from last year, I'm not retaking Paper 2 which I got a B in so my AS level grade is still a C. All hope rests on getting A*s in the Unit 3 and 4 exam so I can get a B and go to Uni.

I also found this:

[video]http://captiongenerator.com/89907/Hitler-reacts-to-AS-Sociology-Unit-1-Retake[/video]

We got the exact same mark last year and I also need a B!

I never knew 2 A*s where needed for a B tho :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
what are predictions for unit 2?

The New Right
Marxism
Feminism
Practical Factors influencing choice of methods
Documents
Original post by aimbx
We got the exact same mark last year and I also need a B!

I never knew 2 A*s where needed for a B tho :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm not sure, just guessing really. I expect two As could push it up, depends how high the B in unit 2 is and how low the unit 1 mark is. Could just about.
Reply 118
Original post by SoggyCabbages
Well I'm not sure, just guessing really. I expect two As could push it up, depends how high the B in unit 2 is and how low the unit 1 mark is. Could just about.

I thought 2 bs would.

If got a decent D in unit 1 that is 20% of grade
If got a decent B in unit 2 that is 30% of grade
If a decent B in unit 3 - 20%
If a decent B in unit 4 - 30%

Then 80% would be a mid - high B so maybe that would work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Socychoictraphy
The New Right
Marxism
Feminism
Practical Factors influencing choice of methods
Documents

what is there even a topic for feminism?

what would write about practical factors influencing choice of methods...how would you structure it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending