The Student Room Group

AQA PSYA1 (Resit students- old spec)

How did you all find the exam?

Scroll to see replies

It was harder than last year, hated the 4markers like what the hell...the stupid investigator effect question
Reply 2
Wasn't too bad, what did you guys get for most of the questions?
Original post by NHM

I found it alright. Memory was pretty decent, research methods was in theory nice but in real life not so good-all those defining questions. Attachment was ok but the 12 marker was a bit annoying
Reply 4
Original post by jaseho98
It was harder than last year, hated the 4markers like what the hell...the stupid investigator effect question

I thought the same, research methods seemed to be rather 'A2' level than AS level... Had no idea about that investigator effects question! And the question about reliability was a joke too!
Original post by NHM
I thought the same, research methods seemed to be rather 'A2' level than AS level... Had no idea about that investigator effects question! And the question about reliability was a joke too!

****ing hell the reliability question was like WTF?!?!
Reply 6
Original post by jaseho98
****ing hell the reliability question was like WTF?!?!

Looking at how people felt the boundaries look like they're going to be low (hopefully) 😂
Reply 7
Original post by random4nia
I found it alright. Memory was pretty decent, research methods was in theory nice but in real life not so good-all those defining questions. Attachment was ok but the 12 marker was a bit annoying

I found memory ok I guess just the cognitive interview that confused me... Attachment I think it was great! Research methods though... Hell no! What the f*** was the 4 maker on investigator effects?
Reply 8
I really liked the paper - it was almost all the questions I wanted (thankfully) and exactly the 12 marker I was wishing for :smile: agree with the investigator effect one though..made up some stuff for that and hoping it gained me a few marks
Do participant variables count as an extraneous variable? Was the only thing I could think of for that independent groups experiment...
Investigator effects was a joke! A lot of research methods questions, the opposite of the paper last year - it was the second paper that had the hardest research methods last year so hopefully paper 2 will be a bit nicer this year...
I thought overall the paper was particularly difficult in comparison to past papers, too many 4 markers, not enough time!
Reply 10
Original post by lucywebb123
Do participant variables count as an extraneous variable? Was the only thing I could think of for that independent groups experiment...
Investigator effects was a joke! A lot of research methods questions, the opposite of the paper last year - it was the second paper that had the hardest research methods last year so hopefully paper 2 will be a bit nicer this year...
I thought overall the paper was particularly difficult in comparison to past papers, too many 4 markers, not enough time!

Yeah pp variables do- I really think the exam took a whole different style to previous papers! Hopefully grade boundaries will be low though :-)
Please can you tell me what the questions were on PSYA1, especially the 12 marker?
Reply 12
Original post by psychobabble
Please can you tell me what the questions were on PSYA1, especially the 12 marker?

I don't remember the exact wording but the 12 marker was on research in institutional care

There was a multiple choice on two factors of MSM and WMM
There was another multiple choice but can't remember that

I think there was strengths of MSM and WMM?

There was an 8 marker (I think it was 8) on research into effects of misleading info on EWT

I think effectiveness of CI was in there (probably 4 marks)

There was something about learning theory in attachment which was connected to a scenario and it was like "explain why according to learning theory this would make it hard for the babies to form attachments"

ummmm, there was also something about reliability, investigator effects, quantitative and qualitative data (definition + example for both)

from the top of my head thats what I can remember!
Reply 13

'Outline and evaluate research into institutional care' - 12 marker

After the 8 marker on EWT there was a couple of questions on a mnemonics experiment including writing what the aim was and describing extraneous variables in the study.
In attachment there was also a 4 marker on the impact of day care on aggression. A question on the ethical issues with using children in a study
Original post by em505

There was something about learning theory in attachment which was connected to a scenario and it was like "explain why according to learning theory this would make it hard for the babies to form attachments"

Children were in a poor quality orphanage or something and they weren't picked up often even when being fed
Reply 16
I hated the question on a specific study for encoding in the STM, and the whole research methods section felt like A2 research methods rather than AS.
I hope they are not too harsh while marking!
Original post by kanyag
I hated the question on a specific study for encoding in the STM, and the whole research methods section felt like A2 research methods rather than AS.
I hope they are not too harsh while marking!

was it not Baddeley (1966)?
Reply 18
Original post by lucywebb123
was it not Baddeley (1966)?

I talked about Baddeley
Original post by NHM

thought it went good! the 12 marker i was so happy with as i knew the studies and evaluations for it inside out!! was a big fan of the cognitive interview questions also!!!

Quick Reply

Latest