dulchieb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In September I'm attending a performing arts school to chiefly study art and design but as an extra option I was considering taking drama as I want to work in the film industry as a career. Most pupils in the school take an performance subject of some sort and I want to be involved in some way in the workings of the school, as well as drama being to do with my career thoughts. However, most people I have spoken to have said it's a lot of theory work and an 'amateur' GCSE according to universities. Has anybody taken or know anybody who has taken GCSE drama? Is it useful in the future? Is it at all favoured by higher education??

Thank you!
chloecam29
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I sat my gcse drama yesterday- but it varies from exam board to exam board
I was on ccea, and we did 4 devised performances (although most schools do 1-2) then they take your best 2 marks to go towards your grade. For devised performances you're given a theme, and have to make up a play within a group of people. Then you have your scripted performance, where you're given a script to perform.
Theory is a lot of work, I had 10 pages written in my exam yesterday! We studied blood brothers, and you have to design a costume, and write about why you chose that costume for that specific character at that moment. You justify colours, materials,and practicality for the actor.
Rehearsal methods are the bulk of it. You have to describe voice, movement, gesture, facial expression in so much detail it's unreal. The other part of the exam is about your scripted performance.

Overall it's a great gcse, and it's not 'easy'. We had multiple people leave our class because of the written.

It is a good gcse to have, but most unis look at your A levels mainly anyway I think, but if you want to do certain subjects at A Level you need gcse drama
Bulletzone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chloecam29)
I sat my gcse drama yesterday- but it varies from exam board to exam board
I was on ccea, and we did 4 devised performances (although most schools do 1-2) then they take your best 2 marks to go towards your grade. For devised performances you're given a theme, and have to make up a play within a group of people. Then you have your scripted performance, where you're given a script to perform.
Theory is a lot of work, I had 10 pages written in my exam yesterday! We studied blood brothers, and you have to design a costume, and write about why you chose that costume for that specific character at that moment. You justify colours, materials,and practicality for the actor.
Rehearsal methods are the bulk of it. You have to describe voice, movement, gesture, facial expression in so much detail it's unreal. The other part of the exam is about your scripted performance.

Overall it's a great gcse, and it's not 'easy'. We had multiple people leave our class because of the written.

It is a good gcse to have, but most unis look at your A levels mainly anyway I think, but if you want to do certain subjects at A Level you need gcse drama
In what Subjects would you need GCSE Drama?
chloecam29
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bulletzone)
In what Subjects would you need GCSE Drama?
Performing arts, theatre studies
Also if you're picking A level english lit and you don't get a B they may look at similar subjects etc
Emerchicken
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chloecam29)
Performing arts, theatre studies
Also if you're picking A level english lit and you don't get a B they may look at similar subjects etc
was it worth doing the GCSE?? was it fun??what was hard about it??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads