Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have synesthesia - AMA watch

Announcements

I was born with auditory-tactile synesthesia and hearing-motion synesthesia. If you have any questions, then I will be happy to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    How much of a nuisance is it or are you happy about it?

(Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed)
    Have you always had them? And how much of a nuisance is it or are you happy about it?
    Hi there, and I've had it since I was born. It wasn't a nuisance, but people thought I was weird that I could hear motion. I didn't know myself at first that this was an actual thing. I thought everyone had it.

ReputationRep:
    What are these 2 conditions and how do they affect you in everyday life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi there, and I've had it since I was born. It wasn't a nuisance, but people thought I was weird that I could hear motion. I didn't know myself at first that this was an actual thing. I thought everyone had it.
    When and how did you find out? And has it affected you at school/work (in terms of learning and social life)?

(Original post by Infamous*)
    What are these 2 conditions and how do they affect you in everyday life?
    Auditory-tactile synesthesia is basically when certain sounds make me feel a tingle without actually being touched. E.g. When I hear a certain sound, a tingle happens in a certain part of the body. This has been compared to ASMR. I'm not sure how else to explain it.

Hearing-motion synesthesia is basically self explanatory; I can hear motions. This is difficult to explain, but when I see something move, I can hear it, if that makes sense.
    Here is a video explaining it; the guy is me in this case
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stwzvpnnlqA

(Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed)
    When and how did you find out? And has it affected you at school/work (in terms of learning and social life)?
    I found out about auditory-tactile synesthesia from my doctors, and recently discovered I had hearing-motion synesthesia. I did not know hearing-motion synesthesia was an actual thing, and I kept thinking that everyone hears motion. It hasn't affected my school life. Only a few times I have said something like "I like the sound the gif is making" and my friends said that it's a silent gif/not making any sound.

ReputationRep:
    Wait but then is what you hear in the gif exactly the same as in the original clip with sound?

(Original post by z33)
    Wait but then is what you hear in the gif exactly the same as in the original clip with sound?
    This video explains it:

and no, like if I saw a gif such as this (or see any type of motion), I can hear it

Here is a video where I can clearly hear the motion:

ReputationRep:
    Here is a video where I can clearly hear the motion:
    That... is so cool *___*
    Congrats on your superpower

(Original post by z33)
    That... is so cool *___*
    Congrats on your superpower
    Lol thanks!
    I find it weird though telling people about it. "I can.. hear motions".
    Other person: "wut".
    I'd rather not people knowing who I am here hence why I'm on anonymous, don't want people knowing I have synesthesia.

ReputationRep:
    Lol thanks!
    I'd rather not people knowing who I am here hence why I'm on anonymous, don't want people knowing I have synesthesia.
    np!
    ahaha yeah I'm sure it's kinda strange but people get used to it real quick :3 though a LOT of questions would be asked x_x
    That's so cool tho! Flaunt it gurrrrrrrrrl or guyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy or whateverrrrrrrrr *__*

Lol thanks!
    I think it's really cool!
    I watched a Hank Green video about it once. Very informative.

Apparently some people can see numbers and hear colours. Pretty facisnating stuff!

(Original post by z33)
    np!
    ahaha yeah I'm sure it's kinda strange but people get used to it real quick :3 though a LOT of questions would be asked x_x
    That's so cool tho! Flaunt it gurrrrrrrrrl or guyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy or whateverrrrrrrrr *__*
    Lmaoo trust me.
    Yes exactly, I don't want to be known as the user with synesthesia. :rofl:
    Thanks again.

(Original post by StrawbAri)
    I think it's really cool!
    I watched a Hank Green video about it once. Very informative.

Apparently some people can see numbers and hear colours. Pretty facisnating stuff!
    I haven't seen his video about it, I shall though.

Yes that's true! In my case, my touch/sight/sound senses are mixed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 16, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.