Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm doing Edexcel's AS-level Biology new 2015 spec, but am struggling a lot with the amount of content including the Maths side to things which adds up to 10% of the overall exam marks. I'm looking through the CGP "Essential Maths Skills for Biology" and have come across a page about Logarithms!!! Why is there so much Maths involved in this subject? I've already got enough formulas to remember for AS-level Maths but now Biology?! Anyone else struggling? Please give me advice and reassurance

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the new spec too and am really struggling! I have been getting all Es and Us all year and I have no idea how to get at least a C to be able to get into uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meghan26)
    I'm doing the new spec too and am really struggling! I have been getting all Es and Us all year and I have no idea how to get at least a C to be able to get into uni.
    I know that feeling!! The very precise mark schemes of the exams don't help either Feel like I've wasted a year of my life tbh :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    I know that feeling!! The very precise mark schemes of the exams don't help either Feel like I've wasted a year of my life tbh :puppyeyes:
    Yeah I know! Like if you say 'light' instead of 'light intensity', you've lost a mark. It's so ridiculous and picky.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know! Like if you say 'light' instead of 'light intensity', you've lost a mark. It's so ridiculous and picky.
    Or low instead of lower

ReputationRep:
    The logarithsm part is just pressing buttons on your calculator to work out pH. It's not complicated maths.

ReputationRep:
    omg same! i do OCR exam board but its the same here too. It's soo detailed everything you have to know and on top of that if its something like a 1 mark question, before you only needed to say one thing but now you have to say like at least two or three things to get anything.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, there are logs on the Edexcel spec? The hardest maths I've seen on the spec I'm doing (AQA) is percentage change...

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping the actual paper will have a more forgiving mark scheme. I have just finished one of the specimen papers and feel very dishearten. I have revised very hard for these papers as i want to prove i have the ability to do medicine but looks like this new specification isn't going to allow that to happen. It is reassuring to know that i am not the only one who seems frustrated and concerned about the upcoming exam on Thursday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sciencemad1999)
    I am hoping the actual paper will have a more forgiving mark scheme. I have just finished one of the specimen papers and feel very dishearten. I have revised very hard for these papers as i want to prove i have the ability to do medicine but looks like this new specification isn't going to allow that to happen. It is reassuring to know that i am not the only one who seems frustrated and concerned about the upcoming exam on Thursday.
    I know exactly how you feel! I'm a mature student who had hope to study a STEM subject at University, but that's looking unlikely now

ReputationRep:
    logarithms is not on the AS spec- i was freaking out too but if you go onto the specification document on the edexcel website and scroll down towards the bottom there is a list of all the maths skills, and the skills in bold (including logarithms) are ONLY to be tested for the full A-Level

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.