Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Parents making their children eat chocolate till they are sick? watch

A friend of mine mentioned that when he was younger (12/13) he wouldn't stop eating chocolate, and would constantly go and buy it without his parents knowledge. So to combat this, they made him eat so much chocolate that he threw up, and he hasn't touched it since.
    Do you think his would have a bad effect on the child? Would this work if someone was trying to stop a destructive eating habit of something they don't want to eat but can't control themselves?

ReputationRep:
    That's awful, the fact that he doesn't go near it now shows it had a detemeintal psychological effect, there are other ways to teach your kids right from wrong

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I feel like that would be effective ukno but why the **** would you do that to your own child
    it's like when you eat something and then get really sick with food poisoning or something and you just associate that food with your illness so it just becomes disgusting to you

Still by far not the best way to drop a habit...

ReputationRep:
    I would never throw up from too much chocolate, chocolate is life :mmm:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    my grandparents did that with smoking - it worked for them too.

i think its pretty unethical to make your child go through that, though. as effective as it may be, that sort of decision should be made by oneself.

the parents opperant conditioned him to stop eating the chocolate, thats why he doesnt eat it now. not because of issues but simply because he associates throwing up with the chocolate

ReputationRep:
    This could be classical conditioning (AS Psychology in use here ). He associates the stimulus of chocolate with the negative impact of being sick and therefore he has operantly conditioned himself into avoidance behaviour where he avoids chocolate to prevent the negative experience of being sick from occurring.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that's abuse.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.