The Student Room Group

AQA Hamlet Exam A2

Scroll to see replies

I said:
yes she was feeble and manipulated because Polonius talked her out of believeing Hamlet's views, and then Polonius and Claudius used her as bait to spy on Hamlet to find out about his madness.
then I said yes she was a powerless woman because of how Hamlet was nasty to her and the whole 'get thee to a nunnery' thing, and how him being nasty to her reflected his anger at Gertrude. and she was corrupted because of Hamlet and I talked about her madness and her songs, and about her suicide and how it was a feminine death in water so she was powerles.

and then i analysed her as a device to fuel laertes and hamlet's rivalry and to show the audience that hamlet's plan about convincing everyone he was mad was working
rebecca_19
haha I saw Ophelia through the paper too and mentally screamed for joy!
Lol.

I AM SO HAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPY.

even the byron questions wern't too bad either were they!

SO DID I! :biggrin:

though the shelley questions weren't very nice- did anyone do the sexuality question? I've ended up writing about women in all my essays so far :|....
also, for the ophelia question, i put that she seems to be free of the 'lack of choice' in madness, freedom of speech and all that. and by committing 'suicide', she shows mental toughness by choosing hell over elsinore, so i kinda agreed with the second quote and kinda dismissed the first one to get a 'cogent argument' that they love in the markschemes. anyone else do the same? does it sound ok to everyone?
bysshe_bash_bosh
SO DID I! :biggrin:

though the shelley questions weren't very nice- did anyone do the sexuality question? I've ended up writing about women in all my essays so far :|....
also, for the ophelia question, i put that she seems to be free of the 'lack of choice' in madness, freedom of speech and all that. and by committing 'suicide', she shows mental toughness by choosing hell over elsinore, so i kinda agreed with the second quote and kinda dismissed the first one to get a 'cogent argument' that they love in the markschemes. anyone else do the same? does it sound ok to everyone?

Your essays sounded an exact replica of mine, although I disagreed with the second assertion about being her a powerless woman, I said the very fact she committed suicide shows a strength of character etc.

I did the love and sexuality one for Shelley too, I did a big chunk of general love A05 in the second paragraph, looked at structure of some poems, then did Epipsychidion for two pages, Adonais for a page, looked at To-, then The Question, then Hymn to Intellectual Beauty before going over Julian and Maddalo and Ode to the West Wind in a skimpy fashion!
Jamsie_853
Your essays sounded an exact replica of mine, although I disagreed with the second assertion about being her a powerless woman, I said the very fact she committed suicide shows a strength of character etc.

I did the love and sexuality one for Shelley too, I did a big chunk of general love A05 in the second paragraph, looked at structure of some poems, then did Epipsychidion for two pages, Adonais for a page, looked at To-, then The Question, then Hymn to Intellectual Beauty before going over Julian and Maddalo and Ode to the West Wind in a skimpy fashion!

good good good :smile:
and lol, for the sexuality one i looked at love's philosophy, hymn of pan, indian serenade and arethusa, and how they all empower women.
seriously struggled with form for it though, cos most of my form stuff was for OTTWW, mask of anarchy, ozymandias and sonnet: england in 1819....so i put in some rubbish about a narrative in a narrative in pan.....:s-smilie:
bysshe_bash_bosh
good good good :smile:
and lol, for the sexuality one i looked at love's philosophy, hymn of pan, indian serenade and arethusa, and how they all empower women.
seriously struggled with form for it though, cos most of my form stuff was for OTTWW, mask of anarchy, ozymandias and sonnet: england in 1819....so i put in some rubbish about a narrative in a narrative in pan.....:s-smilie:

oh dear.
we didn't even DO any of those poems! :frown:
I did Julian and Maddalo, Adonais, To ---- one word is profaned
and then i did abit about his love of nature and then looked at 'an exhortation' and said how poets need love to write good poetry.
i struggled with form as well. i just chucked in some irrelevant rhyme schemes
Reply 825
rebecca_19
haha I saw Ophelia through the paper too and mentally screamed for joy!
Lol.

I AM SO HAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPY.

even the byron questions wern't too bad either were they!

I did the exact same thing too!
I saw the word 'Ophelia' through the exam paper too when we were waiting until exactly half past one :rolleyes: Was just RELIEVED.. had she not come up I think I would have cried, she was the only character I studied in-depth.

Like everyone else I talked about Shakespeare paints her as the innocent and pure character of the play.. began with saying how she does allow herself to be manipulated and her inevitable madness and suicide is down to her own doing and nobody else's, because she refuses to be independent.

Then, argued that while she does do this, she also is only behaving the way society expects her to behave - her death is the death of all that is innocent in the play (talked a lot about the symbolism of the violets and flowers here).

I wrote more but to be honest, the whole thing was such a blur because I was so relieved she had come up. Even if it turns out I did badly, I couldn't have done any better with another question... soooo.. I'm hoping it goes well!!

I also mentioned in the beginning how convention dictates that women of revenge tragedies are usually weak - Abigail in Marlow's 'The Jew of Malta' ... haha I got that of this site :biggrin:
onehotminuteofmine

I also mentioned in the beginning how convention dictates that women of revenge tragedies are usually weak - Abigail in Marlow's 'The Jew of Malta' ... haha I got that of this site :biggrin:

LOL my introduction was exactly the same, bar mentioning another play! :biggrin:
I didnt like Ophelia, so I chose to do the Hamlet question and I rocked it!!
Reply 829
O dear,not enough quotes tho,,I mentioned alot of Ophelia's 'yes my lord etc' I think i did repeat myself :s-smilie:
I mentioned the fact that she remained silence when P n C brought up the idea to spy them,will that b ok??

Quote me :smile:
MCYan
O dear,not enough quotes tho,,I mentioned alot of Ophelia's 'yes my lord etc' I think i did repeat myself :s-smilie:
I mentioned the fact that she remained silence when P n C brought up the idea to spy them,will that b ok??

Quote me :smile:

lmao funny that "Yes My Lord" was my MAIN quote too...lots of paraphrasing in my essay :cool:
despite my atrocious worrying i got full marks. bloody. so shocked by my results!
i got an A for Hamlet and john clare :biggrin:
C overall, still well happy!
Despite my cockiness with this paper, got a C lol!!

But still an overall A so i'm ecstatic :biggrin:
Reply 834
77/90 :biggrin:

I'm pleased with that! :p: Although I expect most of the marks came from Hamlet due to my poor Wordsworth revision!
Reply 835
I got full marks on this paper!!! Big thanks to TSR for the Ophelia notes and prediction - I would never have gotten that mark otherwise. And the Don Juan question's theme of romanticism was an absolute dream!
Reply 836
Original post by CherryBakewell
i got an A for Hamlet and john clare :biggrin:
C overall, still well happy!

i know this is old...but do u know how to get hamlet past papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending