IGCSE Edexcel Chemistry May 19th 2016

Watch this thread
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hey guys, since a new thread hasn't been made for chem i made one.
What do you think will come up? The questions are quite repetitive, e.g. for alkanes/alkenes and stuff did you guys finish revising? i only revised from the cgp book
TheShadoWolf
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gameofno)
Nice one
Emily Rafferty
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Alloys and fractional distillation maybe as 6 markers
dRaGoN2509
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gameofno)
What do you think will come up? The questions are quite repetitive, e.g. for alkanes/alkenes and stuff did you guys finish revising? i only revised from the cgp book
One does not simply 'finish' revising.
Rep:
(Original post by dRaGoN2509)
One does not simply 'finish' revising.
mkay
daisie
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Any predictions?
I hope its not as hard as biology
daisie
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Any predictions?
I hope it's easier than biology
Demarco101
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Just starting revising now it better be easy as hell.
meme259
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Could anyone quickly summarise how you know which salt making method to use? I know the mixing/stir/filter one is two soluble salts to make an insoluble salt, but for the others, how do you know whether to use a titration or the other method?
Rep:
(Original post by meme259)
Could anyone quickly summarise how you know which salt making method to use? I know the mixing/stir/filter one is two soluble salts to make an insoluble salt, but for the others, how do you know whether to use a titration or the other method?
Making soluble salts using acids and insoluble bases:
Most metal oxides, carbonates and hydroxides are insoluble. So eg if you want to make copper nitrate, you mix nitric acid and copper carbonate.
First you add the metal oxide/carbonate/hydroxide to the acid- the solid will dissolve in the acid as it reacts. You'll know when all the acid has been used up because the excess solid will remain at the bottom of the flask
You can then filter out the excess base to get the salt solution. Evaporate off the water to get pure, solid crystals of the salt.

2. Making soluble salts with an alkali:
This is the titration method - you neutralise an acid with an alkali and then get crystals in the usual manner

3. Making insoluble salts - precipitation reaction:
You just need to pick two solutions which contain the correct ions. Eg to make barium Sulphate (insoluble), you need a solution which contains barium ions (eg barium chloride) and sulphate ions (sulphuric acid)
daisie
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  313.8 KB

Use that^
Milzime
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(copying to all iGCSE Chem threads )

could anyone help me out with explaining thisgeneral topic of polymerisation, additional polymerisation etc. The question itself made me go whaaaaat? and I just guessed because it's better than a blank amirite the Gold is me marking and my expression of ~woe~ THANKS IN ADVANCE I REALLY NEED HELP >.< )

Name:  IMG_8944.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  460.8 KB
daisie
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Really good paper but paper two is going to be solid
Mark 88
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Such a hard paper! Once again i hope the grade boundaries will drop!
Awful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
-Max-
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I thought this paper was quite easy compared to the past papers I looked at!
Spinal tap
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Super easy paper! Was easier than past papers I had done, and I reckon it was a lot more straightforward than the biology
Castro300
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Spinal tap)
Super easy paper! Was easier than past papers I had done, and I reckon it was a lot more straightforward than the biology
It wasnt hard, but extremely easy to get tricked like the element found in air, bet people put carbon dioxide when it asked for an element
Spinal tap
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Castro300)
It wasnt hard, but extremely easy to get tricked like the element found in air, bet people put carbon dioxide when it asked for an element
Yeah there was definitely a lot of stuff to get tripped up on. But if you just read the question most of it was pretty self explanatory
Castro300
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Spinal tap)
Yeah there was definitely a lot of stuff to get tripped up on. But if you just read the question most of it was pretty self explanatory
What did you get for the mass of water amd which reaction it was, i got reaction 3
Spinal tap
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Castro300)
What did you get for the mass of water amd which reaction it was, i got reaction 3
I got 0.9g for mass of water I think, and yeah it was reaction 3 because of the ratio
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (110)
68.32%
No (33)
20.5%
I didn't use it to prepare (18)
11.18%

Watched Threads