Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've been going out with my step brother for the past few weeks. Everyone raises their eyebrows when they find out that my boyfriend is my step brother. Why though? Is it wrong to be in this kind of a relationship?

ReputationRep:
    Welllll it's technically not wrong as he isn't related to you whatsoever as it's only because your parents and his are in a relationship.
    It can be look down by certain groups of people, but then again lots of things are looked down on by people and if you never did anything society didn't approve of you wouldn't get much done in your life.

ReputationRep:
    Share a parent? Yes it's wrong. If you both have completely different parents...its still weird lmao

(Original post by andew_451)
    Welllll it's technically not wrong as he isn't related to you whatsoever as it's only because your parents and his are in a relationship.
    It can be look down by certain groups of people, but then again lots of things are looked down on by people and if you never did anything society didn't approve of you wouldn't get much done in your life.
    Oh I see, but he is such a nice person and we both love each other. Our parents were a bit shocked at first but now they are alright with it so what is wrong with the society if our family has no problems with it whatsoever. I really do like this guy but people are causing problems in our relationship.

(Original post by Aydin7)
    Share a parent? Yes it's wrong. If you both have completely different parents...its still weird lmao
    But we are not blood related though. Once we get married, we are gonna have to share parents anyway.

ReputationRep:
    People in society always like to find problems. Within life you with always come across people like this. Best advice is ignore them- if you both love each other and the families approve their is nothing wrong with this. And if people are causing serious problems then seek out help to sort out the problems if they are causing stress etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But we are not blood related though. Once we get married, we are gonna have to share parents anyway.
    If you really want people to stop badly, make something up. Say he's not your step brother and in reality your adopted or something similar.

ReputationRep:
    Or say that you guys were in a relationship and then your parents coincidentally got married and you both didn't realise. There is a book called the Zac Warren Fan Club that has your exact scenario in.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.