Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are gay famous people over represented in the media Watch

ReputationRep:
    If only 6% of all people are gay according to the stats, why are so many of them in the media, they are every where.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. The popular actors and actresses in the USA just happen to be gay. I'm not sure what happens in the UK for gay celebrities.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any evidence for them being over represented in the media?

And even if it were true, why would that be a problem, you only have to go back a couple of decades to a time where it would be a big taboo and potentially career suicide to be openly gay in the media, and even now you still have some people in the media only just coming out publicly, so isn't it a good thing that there are now so many openly gay people in the media and that people can feel comfortable to show who they really are in public?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't care less about someone's sexuality. Not sure why it's an issue, in both senses of the word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    And even if it were true, why would that be a problem
    Who said it was a problem?

ReputationRep:
    I only see makeup and hairstylist not really actors. Who are you talking about

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they're just underrepresented in your own life because... hmmm....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Who said it was a problem?
    Well I get the sense the OP thinks it's a problem -

they are every where.
    But maybe I was too presumptuous and it was just an innocent question.

ReputationRep:
    Are they? Got any stats on that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by takeabreaknow)
    If only 6% of all people are gay according to the stats, why are so many of them in the media, they are every where.
    If Norway only has a population of less than 5m, how come they are so good at cross country skiing?

If China has 1/7 to 1/6 of the world's population, how come they suck at football or basketball?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.