Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my mechanical engineering degree but I know my heart is in medicine-realised too late and carried on with the degree! Does anyone know what the transition would be like and if I would find it more academically challenging? Also, would universities see me as having experience or as a blank canvas after not studying a science at uni? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    just a lot of information apparently nothing compared to the concepts your taught in engineering i guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcheyBe19)
    I've just finished my mechanical engineering degree but I know my heart is in medicine-realised too late and carried on with the degree! Does anyone know what the transition would be like and if I would find it more academically challenging? Also, would universities see me as having experience or as a blank canvas after not studying a science at uni? Thanks.
    It depends how academically challenging your mechanical engineering degree was, not having done both I can't tell you if medicine is more so. Medicine is a very different discipline so if you don't have a background in life sciences and didn't do biology and chemistry at A-level you may find the transition challenging at first, however many graduates go into medicine with a non-life science related degree and manage it.

Some graduate entry programmes accept non-science degrees (at 2.1 or above), but may require chemistry at A-level; while others will accept any subject at degree and A-levels (or not even care about your A-levels at all) but will require you to sit the GAMSAT (a science-based entrance exam). Bear this in mind when picking unis to make sure they will accept your qualifications.

Unis may regard you as having some life experience, but they won't see your degree as relevant medical work experience. All medicine applicants need to have work experience in a health care environment, even if it's just making tea and talking with the residents at a care home every week (in fact doing this for a year is probably better than 2 days shadowing a consultant in a hospital).

ReputationRep:
    I've done both and the transition was really difficult to start with.
    You can pretty much forget all your engineering, save for how to study and some basic scientific concepts like units etc.

Feel free to contact me privately.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.