Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
B975- Food Hygiene Rating Display Bill 2016, Her Majesty's Government
A

B I L L

TO

Force food establishments to display their food hygiene rating from the FSA to all customers.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Definitions
(1) FSA: Food Standards Agency
(2) Food establishment: Any business which makes or prepares food which would usually be inspected by the FSA.

2 Display of food hygiene rating
(1) All food establishments must display their food hygiene rating which they have received from the FSA for all customers to see.
(1.1) This must be displayed somewhere where customers are able to see it from outside the food establishment.
(2) All food establishments must also display their food hygiene rating on their website.
(2.1) This must be displayed either on their homepage, or on their menu page.
(2.2) They will receive a digital version of the hygiene rating from the FSA which will have a unique code linked to that establishment, so it can be confirmed they are displaying the correct rating. If they display an incorrect rating, they will receive a penalty as below.
(2.3) This unique code will also be displayed on the FSA's online list of hygiene ratings for establishments, and the public will be able to report the establishment through an online form if they believe the establishment is displaying an incorrect rating.
(3) Establishments are given 7 days to display their hygiene rating, after which, they will receive a penalty fine.

3 Penalties
(1) If a food establishment fails to display this where customers can see from outside, or displays an incorrect rating on their website, the establishment will receive a fine:
(1.1) First time: £1000
(1.2) Second time: £2000
(1.3) Third time and every time after: £5000
(2) Establishments are given 7 days to put up the hygiene rating or the correct one on their website, without being fined a second time. After this, they will receive another fine.

4 Short title and extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Food Hygiene Rating Display Act 2016.
(2) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.

Notes
Spoiler:
Show
At the moment, food establishments are not required by law to display their food hygiene rating. In these cases, the only way the public can be sure, is to look online, which many do not know about. This Bill would require all food establishments to display their hygiene rating where customers can see when they're walking down the street looking for somewhere to eat.

This would help encourage establishments to improve the hygiene, and to strive for a higher rating.

This would not cost anything, as the stickers are always provided to the establishment by the FSA already, and has the potential to generate revenue through fines, which could go back into the FSA to continue to help make sure everyone is safe when eating out.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye.
Wellzi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Again I think it's only England where it is not already compulsory. I know in Wales we have to, and employees can I think be fined if they are unable to correctly inform a customer who asks about the rating.

I do nonetheless support this.
BenC1997
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Finally, a piece of legislation to which I can say "Aye."
username1899909
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye!
Imperion
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye, daddy.
SakuraCayla
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Non-controversial and just basic non-political governing, aye
EricAteYou
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Whilst I assume it will make no major matter I just wonder if home businesses have been thought about.

For example, a home business is inspected by the FSA , and I think it's unfair for there to be a sign up within the home.

Whilst I want to say ( and still will say ) aye, I just wonder whether this has been thought about.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Again I think it's only England where it is not already compulsory. I know in Wales we have to, and employees can I think be fined if they are unable to correctly inform a customer who asks about the rating.

I do nonetheless support this.
You're correct, perhaps I could've made it clearer... But yeh, basically trying to bring this in line with what the Welsh do - something they do right anyway!
(Original post by Kay_Winters)
Non-controversial and just basic non-political governing, aye
Yes, it's something that I've more personally thought of rather than a massive issue... But why not ey
(Original post by EricAteYou)
Whilst I assume it will make no major matter I just wonder if home businesses have been thought about.

For example, a home business is inspected by the FSA , and I think it's unfair for there to be a sign up within the home.

Whilst I want to say ( and still will say ) aye, I just wonder whether this has been thought about.
I did think, and hence why I put anywhere that would usually be inspected by the FSA. Even a smaller home business, I feel that in particular, they should be proud of high standards (if they have them!).
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by EricAteYou)

Indeed I would recommend the proposers have a skim through the regulations in force in Wales to see how this works in the real world.

(I'm all for mandating the bilingual signs in England too.)
cranbrook_aspie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye, a good first bill from the Government.
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye, but I thought the tories didn't like red tape?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Assuming it is not already the case, aye.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye, but there needs to be a rule about prominence added. There's no use in having something displayed so it can be seen if nobody's going to notice it.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Aye, but there needs to be a rule about prominence added. There's no use in having something displayed so it can be seen if nobody's going to notice it.
We could perhaps hire some local celebrities to present it for a couple of days but nothing too flashy.
username1450924
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads