Zafirah.1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello If anyone needs help hit me up with questions and I'll try my best to help
Cadburyworld
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can u help me with reflex arc and plant hormones.
Cadburyworld
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cadburyworld)
Can u help me with reflex arc and plant hormones.
. Damnnnnn we got biology core tomaZ. Edexcel. Any predictions ??
Cadburyworld
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zafirah.1)
Hello If anyone needs help hit me up with questions and I'll try my best to help
I have a feeling exams will be hard this year. As we are the last year following this spec right.
M451
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Apologies if I'm butting in but I'd like to give this a go.

1) A reflex action is triggered by a change in the environment (stimulus) which is detected by a receptor (light/sound/pressure/temperature). This receptor sends an electrical impulse down the sensory neurone, across a synapse, through a relay neurone and into the central nervous system. The CNS will coordinate a response and this will be sent through the relay neurone, across a synapse and through the motor neurone to the relevant affector. Usually, this is a muscle (the muscle will contract) or a gland (hormones will be secreted). Across a synapse, the electrical impulses are converted to chemical messengers which diffuse across the synapse and become electrical impulses again at the other end.

2) The main plant hormone you need to know about is auxin. It is present on the tips of shoots and roots.

Auxins encourage growth in the shoots and inhibit growth in the roots.

- Shoots will grow toward sunlight. Auxin accumulates on the side that has the least sunlight, causing that side to grow more and making the plant grow in the direction of the sunlight. (phototropism)
- Shoots will grow away from gravity. Auxin accumulates on the bottom of the shoot, thus promoting upward growth. (gravitropism/geotropism)
- Roots grow towards moisture. Auxin accumulates on the side with the most moisture, inhibiting growth on that side, causing the plant to grow towards the moisture. (hydrotropism)
- Roots grow towards gravity. Auxin accumulates on the bottom of the root, inhibiting growth there, thus promoting growth downwards. (gravotropism/geotropsim)

Auxin can be added to clones grown as plant cuttings as it helps them to grow roots. These hormones are in rooting powder.
L0st45
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cadburyworld)
I have a feeling exams will be hard this year. As we are the last year following this spec right.
There will be one more exam on this specification, next year, as Science doesn't have its new 9-1 specification teaching until September 2016, for first assessments 2018.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (192)
5.04%
Uncertainty around my education (555)
14.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (427)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (525)
13.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (189)
4.96%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (228)
5.98%
Loneliness (319)
8.37%
Financial worries (141)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (149)
3.91%
Exposure to negative news/social media (170)
4.46%
Lack of real life entertainment (217)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (341)
8.95%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (358)
9.39%

Watched Threads