Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Competency Based interview watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a competency based interview in 3 days and I am starting to panic I have never had to do an interview... its for a Quality control position in clinical science does anyone know what I should expect?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by dconway)
    I have a competency based interview in 3 days and I am starting to panic I have never had to do an interview... its for a Quality control position in clinical science does anyone know what I should expect?
    Competency based interviews have questions along the lines of 'Tell me a time when you have ....?'.

Basically, go back to the job advert, make a list of every skill and experience they ask for, and then think of an example of when you have used or shown that skill. in other words, if they say they want teamwork, think of a good example of when you have worked in a team, if they want initiative, think of a time when you have shown initiative etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dconway)
    To add to threeportdrifts excellent advice, make sure you use STAR when answering, that is
    -Situation- so outline the context briefly
    -Task- what were you trying to achieve
    -Action- what did you do to try and achieve your goal
    -Result- what was the outcome
    with greatest emphasis on the last two points

Remember to focus on what you did.

Best of luck

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.