Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A cricketer hits the ball on the half volley, that is when the ball is at ground level. The ball leaves the ground at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal and travels towards a fielder standing on the boundary 60m away.
    i) Find the initial speed of the the ball if it hits the ground for the first time at the fielders feet.
    ii) Find the initial speed of the ball if it is at a height of 3.2m when it passes over the fielder's head.

For part i) I know the horizontal range is given which is S=ut in this case 60m, I also know sin30 = 1/2 and cos30 = √3/2 but that's all I don't know how to approach this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revision0161)
    A cricketer hits the ball on the half volley, that is when the ball is at ground level. The ball leaves the ground at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal and travels towards a fielder standing on the boundary 60m away.
    i) Find the initial speed of the the ball if it hits the ground for the first time at the fielders feet.
    ii) Find the initial speed of the ball if it is at a height of 3.2m when it passes over the fielder's head.

For part i) I know the horizontal range is given which is S=ut in this case 60m, I also know sin30 = 1/2 and cos30 = √3/2 but that's all I don't know how to approach this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Hi. Try the following steps...

1. If you let the initial speed of the ball be u, then work out expressions for the horizontal and vertical components of this.

2. Resolving horizontally, work out an expression for the time taken to travel 60 metres

3. Resolving vertically, work out an expression for the distance travelled using s=ut + (1/2)at2
    - For part A, this distance will be zero as the ball hits the ground. You can substitute for t using your expression from part 2 and solve this for u

- For part B, this distance will be 3.2m. You can substitute the same expression for t and solve for u.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1. Resolving horizontally: 60m = ucos(30) x t; t = 60/(u x cos(30))

2. Resolving vertically: s = usin(30) x t - 0.5gt2

For part A: solve 0 = usin(30) x t - 0.5gt2 for u, substituting for t
    For part B: solve 3.2 = usin(30) x t - 0.5gt2 for u, substituting for t

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for your response.
    I followed your instructions and managed to solve it easily, however I have one question will this method involving expressions always work when I am trying to find the initial speed? Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for your response.
    I followed your instructions and managed to solve it easily, however I have one question will this method involving expressions always work when I am trying to find the initial speed? Thanks again
    Hi. Sorry about the delay.

Yes, the method will always work. It relies on the fact that the horizontal speed is constant, so you can find an expression for t, which is then substituted into the other equation.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again for your help, by the way do you know any websites or resources that I can access to get additional help for M1. I have already tried exam solutions.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again for your help, by the way do you know any websites or resources that I can access to get additional help for M1. I have already tried exam solutions.
    Sorry, I don't. It may be worth searching on Youtube to see if there is anything there.

The links on the right may lead somewhere, e.g. I found this one via another page.

M1 Mechanics - Pulleys - Connected Particles (Full 1 hour tutorial AQA, Edexcel)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r73j4prNAug

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks a lot!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.