Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Long story short, I've been diagnosed with depression twice (this time 'major depression'). I'm on medication and receiving counseling.

My university tutor has recommended that I apply for DSA support but I know they assign support depending on what issues you're having.
    I'm not sure what I would say I need for depression. It seems quite general problems that I don't see how they could address: difficulty concentrating; no motivation to go in or complete work; difficulty preparing for or comprehending exams etc. I AM struggling a lot but I don't know what they could possibly offer to help.

If any of you have claimed or know someone who has claimed, what have you requested assistance with?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You don't request as such. You have an assessment (an informal chat, really) with someone who will decide from there what you need. That can include things like a note taker if you struggle with note taking, a voice recorder, some software to help with mind mapping and some exam arrangements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittyHawk94)
    Long story short, I've been diagnosed with depression twice (this time 'major depression'. I'm on medication and receiving counseling.

My university tutor has recommended that I apply for DSA support but I know they assign support depending on what issues you're having.
    I'm not sure what I would say I need for depression. It seems quite general problems that I don't see how they could address: difficulty concentrating; no motivation to go in or complete work; difficulty preparing for or comprehending exams etc. I AM struggling a lot but I don't know what they could possibly offer to help.

If any of you have claimed or know someone who has claimed, what have you requested assistance with?
    Hi, a year ago I was in exactly the same position as you, I got a diagnosis of depression and my tutor recommended for me to apply for DSA, I didn't really know what to expect at the time or what I would get. Basically if you application gets accepted you have to go for a needs assessment, it lasts a quite a long time, but that's okay because the assessors are often aware that things are difficult and mine let me take loads of breaks. All I would say is that in the assessment you have to be as honest with the person how having depression is affecting your course, so first you have to be totally honest with yourself. For me, I struggled to concentrate, hand it work, motivate myself to work and generally turn up for lectures. I was really honest about how it was all affecting me and at the end of the meeting I got to try out some software and piece of equipment and chose which ones I liked best. All of the things they gave me, like a mind mapping software to help me organise my assignments and a Livescribe pen because I find it really difficult to concentrate in lectures and some other stuff like a printer and some other software has really helped me. I also have a learning facilitator who I see a couple times a week, and she helps to me to organise my time and break my assignments down into manageable steps so that my work load is as daunting. I got loads of support and help when I first got all my equipment, someone came to my house and spent hours showing me different ways I could use the software so that it was actually helping me.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.