The Student Room Group

Lagrangian help!!!!

Given the production function and the constraint Q K L 15013 23 53450L K
I. Use the Lagrange Multiplier Method to maximize production subject to the constraint.

I keep getting 450=450 and nothing for k and l and I'm getting well stressed
Original post by MaryNeedsAnswers
Given the production function and the constraint
Q K L 15013 23 53450L K
I. Use the Lagrange Multiplier Method to maximize production subject to the constraint.

I keep getting 450=450 and nothing for k and l and I'm getting well stressed

Whichever way you have tried to post your question, it hasn't come out in intelligble form; care to try again?
A. Given the production function Q =150K^1/3 L^2/3 and the constraint5L+ 3K=450:I. Use the Lagrange Multiplier Method to maximize production subject to the constraint.II. Use the Substitution Method to maximize production subject to the constraint.III. What is the maximum corresponding production?
A. Given the production function Q =150K^1/3 L^2/3 and the constraint5L+ 3K=450:I. Use the Lagrange Multiplier Method to maximize production subject to the constraint.II. Use the Substitution Method to maximize production subject to the constraint.III. What is the maximum corresponding production?

1. Let's make this readable:

A. Given the production function Q=150K1/3L2/3Q =150K^{1/3} L^{2/3} and the constraint C=5L+3K=450C = 5L+ 3K=450

II. Use the Substitution Method to maximize production subject to the constraint.

III. What is the maximum corresponding production?

2. For part I, form:

G(K,L)=Q(K,L)+λC(K,L)G(K,L) = Q(K,L) + \lambda C(K,L)

then solve:

GK=0,GL=0,Gλ=0\frac{\partial G}{\partial K} = 0, \frac{\partial G}{\partial L} = 0, \frac{\partial G}{\partial \lambda} = 0

When you've done so, if you haven't got the right answer, put up your working so we can see where your problem lies.
Original post by atsruser
1. Let's make this readable:

A. Given the production function Q=150K1/3L2/3Q =150K^{1/3} L^{2/3} and the constraint C=5L+3K=450C = 5L+ 3K=450

II. Use the Substitution Method to maximize production subject to the constraint.

III. What is the maximum corresponding production?

2. For part I, form:

G(K,L)=Q(K,L)+λC(K,L)G(K,L) = Q(K,L) + \lambda C(K,L)

then solve:

GK=0,GL=0,Gλ=0\frac{\partial G}{\partial K} = 0, \frac{\partial G}{\partial L} = 0, \frac{\partial G}{\partial \lambda} = 0

When you've done so, if you haven't got the right answer, put up your working so we can see where your problem lies.

Thank you so much, how did you do that?
Thank you so much, how did you do that?

How did I do what? The formatted mathematics? If so, I used Latex, which you would be well advised to learn - there's a tutorial on this site somewhere, and lots and lots on info available by googling.
Thanks in advance I hope you can read it

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463485212.449154.jpg sorry this is more clear .

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463485212.449154.jpg sorry this is more clear .

Posted from TSR Mobile

This looks more-or-less correct, but you've gone wrong somewhere solving the 3 equations at the end - can't quite see where.

Try eliminating λ\lambda from the first two - I get 5L=6K5L=6K which can then be substituted back into your constraint.

Quick Reply