Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why's it frowned upon when... Watch

ReputationRep:
    ... people are "bitter" about the past especially when it's something bad that has happened to them that has affected them in the future? I mean I let people have outburst and throw the middle finger around what's wrong with it?

Just wondering. The middle finger is so funny if you think about it, who made that the **** you finger? I like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    ... people are "bitter" about the past especially when it's something bad that has happened to them that has affected them in the future? I mean I let people have outburst and throw the middle finger around what's wrong with it?Just wondering. The middle finger is so funny if you think about it, who made that the **** you finger? I like it.

I don't think there's much wrong with it, unless you're like taking things out on other people for the wrong reasons? Like snapping at people when they've not done anything etc. But if that's not the case and the problem people have is even the fact that you're bitter about something... Well, that's a little different.

It really depends on context, perhaps people would rather you let go of things and forget/move on as opposed to being bitter about it and dwelling on it.

Rambles.

ReputationRep:
    It's only a problem if you care about being frowned upon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    It's only a problem if you care about being frowned upon.
    I like this. Tell me more.

ReputationRep:
    I like this. Tell me more.
    If you're angry about something then just show it. It's better than meditating or doing yoga poses.

ReputationRep:
    ... people are "bitter" about the past especially when it's something bad that has happened to them that has affected them in the future? I mean I let people have outburst and throw the middle finger around what's wrong with it?

Just wondering. The middle finger is so funny if you think about it, who made that the **** you finger? I like it.
    Don't know about the middle finger. The "up yours" two fingers comes from 14th century times when the ranged military weapon of the time was the Longbow. When captured, if they weren't killed, the French would cut off a longbowman's two fingers so that he couldn't pull arrows anymore. When the English were winning towards the end of the Hundred Years War, it became a boasting/victory/insult sign for them to show off to the retreating French that they had those two fingers.

ReputationRep:
    I find that people don't really care about your problems when they're focusing on themselves, or they're afraid of what they're getting themselves into.

People making snap judgements about you, instead of looking deeper. You look like a person who hasn't 'got it together', and needs to work on himself before you can make things work with him, when really what those people want is just a good friend to love them.

Depends a lot on context though, and the person. I wish expressing yourself in certain ways wasn't so stigmatized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    Don't know about the middle finger. The "up yours" two fingers comes from 14th century times when the ranged military weapon of the time was the Longbow. When captured, if they weren't killed, the French would cut off a longbowman's two fingers so that he couldn't pull arrows anymore. When the English were winning towards the end of the Hundred Years War, it became a boasting/victory/insult sign for them to show off to the retreating French that they had those two fingers.
    I think that was shown to be a myth on QI, although I am not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RivalPlayer)
    If you're angry about something then just show it. It's better than meditating or doing yoga poses.
    More

ReputationRep:
    I agree. It shouldn't be frowned upon. Everyone goes through such phases where they are angry at someone/something. Simply expressing your feelings about a certain situation shouldn't be considered 'bitter' but I can understand why it is if someone then chooses to act on their emotions.
    For example, it's okay to let people know you're angry at your ex because they've cheated on you and betrayed you but it would be bitter if you then slashed their car tyres or threw eggs at their windows etc.

ReputationRep:
    More
    I think you have had enough.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.