Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi everyone,

I’m Eve, the Schools Liaison Coordinator at the Faculty of Education. As some of you will know, we are launching three new Undergraduate Education ‘tracks’ for 2017 entry:

Education, Psychology and Learning

Education, Policy and International Development

Education, English, Drama and the Arts

I wanted to give you a chance to ask any questions you might have about the three tracks and about studying Education at Cambridge. I’m not an admissions tutor myself but am very happy to offer you general advice about what the course involves and what you can do if you are interested in applying.

I’ll be checking the thread throughout the day (9am-5pm) until Friday 20 May so please ask away!

Eve

[email protected]

@CamEdFac

www.educ.cam.ac.uk/undergrad

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently holding a place for 2016 entry for Education with English so I don't think I'll be doing the new three track route. Would you be able to help me with some more general questions about the course please?

What does the typical timetable of a first year education student look like? Do many of the lectures take place over the weekends?

Roughly how much time is spent in the education faculty vs the subject faculty in the first year?

Where do the lectures/seminars/supervisions mostly take place? Are they mostly in college or in the faculties?

Thank you for your help in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

No problem - I'm happy to help.

Firstly, congratulations on your offer! You're right - if you are starting the course this year you will be studying on the current Education with English route (students applying this year for 2017 entry onwards will choose from one of the three revised tracks above).

In your first year you will have around 4 hours of Education lectures and around 4 hours of English lectures per week. Throughout the year you will also have supervisions for each paper that you take, but these will be organised to fit around your other commitments. Education Undergraduates don't have lectures on weekends.

In the first year, all Education and English lectures take place in the Education Faculty (in later years you might take some papers in the English Faculty in which case you will have some lectures there). Your seminars and supervisions (smaller group sessions) might take place in the Faculty, in your College, or in a different College, depending on what's convenient for everyone involved.

I hope that's helped!

Eve

[email protected]

@CamEdFac

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, that's really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Today is the last day of this thread so if you still want to ask any questions about the Education course, now's your chance!

If you want to ask any questions after this thread closes (at 4pm today), please feel free to email me on [email protected]

Eve

@CamEdFac

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm kind of interested in applying for one of the tracks, probably the Arts one. I'm really into English, but not so much Drama. Would there be a way of avoiding doing too much of it and sticking to English stuff?

Thanks so much Eve!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Great to hear that you're interested in the course. The course is really flexible and practical Drama is completely optional. For those like you who are not so keen to study Drama, there are plenty of English or Education papers which you can take instead.

Hope that helps put your mind at rest!

Eve

[email protected]

@CamEdFac

ReputationRep:
    Perfect, thanks Eve!

Sally

(Original post by University of Cambridge)
    Hi there,

Great to hear that you're interested in the course. The course is really flexible and practical Drama is completely optional. For those like you who are not so keen to study Drama, there are plenty of English or Education papers which you can take instead.

Hope that helps put your mind at rest!

Eve

[email protected]

@CamEdFac

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for your questions. I'm signing off from this thread now but if you have any more questions about the course you are welcome to email me at [email protected] and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Eve

@CamEdFac

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.