Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you memorise things? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm currently doing research in regards to how students memorise things for exams! Or just in general!

Any tips you have, please share them below!

ReputationRep:
    1) Write it out like 1000 times.
    2) start with a paragraph then shorten it to a line then condense it so much that I only have one word prompts left for the paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystery.)
    1) Write it out like 1000 times.
    2) start with a paragraph then shorten it to a line then condense it so much that I only have one word prompts left for the paragraph.
    Thanks for you input!

At least I have one response

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE, I would write a load of facts out over and over..
    Now I tend to just read and do questions and hope for the best...I remember most things..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    At GCSE, I would write a load of facts out over and over..
    Now I tend to just read and do questions and hope for the best...I remember most things..
    Varies from person to person I guess.

I didn't even bother with GCSE and A levels seem to be killing me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    Varies from person to person I guess.

I didn't even bother with GCSE and A levels seem to be killing me.
    GCSE there were so many subjects that remembering was an issue for me.
    At A Level, there were so few subjects that it all stuck so long as I kept working on questions. I preferred them to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I mostly use abbreviations for things and i usually write them down in a notepad or flashcard etc, it got me through most of my GCSE's . I also just listened to music while i was revising so whenever i needed to remember something i would remember that song, i used darude sandstorm ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ReputationRep:
    QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS

^ seriously

Hi !

To memorise stuff I highlight key words then I try to recite them all. When it's done I try to write as much as possible of the lesson I can remember , and I read it before I go to sleep. The following day I try to recite as much as possible without reading it first

Sometimes I record my voice while reading my lesson (mostly when I am studying languages but sometimes for other stuff too) and I listen to myself :3

ReputationRep:
    I explain them to myself, over and over again. Like I'm teaching it to someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    Hi!
    I'm currently doing research in regards to how students memorise things for exams! Or just in general!

Any tips you have, please share them below!
    Say an proof for my exams.
    I write it out many times until I know it without thinking
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Split what you need to know into part. Read one over and over again. Get into a rhythm. Then move on to the next one. Read over and over again. Try to recall the first one, then the one you just read. Keep doing this until you can recite them all. Do not move on until you can memorise all of them. If you find you get to the 4th part and can no longer remember some of part 1, start again. :yep:

The idea behind it is to frustrate you into learning parts off-by-heart so as to not waste your time by having to start again. It's highly effective. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why, but once I read something like twice or something. I'll never forget it. Memorising all my Jane Eyre & Hamlet Quotes like this.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Flashcards and constant repetition, its one of the few memorization techniques that works for me due to my short term memory issues with being dyslexic.

ReputationRep:
    For all subjects I just rewrote the revision guide at GCSE constantly up until the exam
    For history especially I didn't allow myself to eat ot drink until I could memorise all the dates in the textbook which took half a day.

ReputationRep:
    I just keep on writing it over and over again.

ReputationRep:
    Compartmentalise everything.

This morning I aimed to remember all the polygon names up to 100 sided shapes. Naturally it helps to think of how well I can do 1-9, then 10-19, 20-29 etc. Some topics take more work to break them into chunks, but the principle works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Compartmentalise everything.

This morning I aimed to remember all the polygon names up to 100 sided shapes. Naturally it helps to think of how well I can do 1-9, then 10-19, 20-29 etc. Some topics take more work to break them into chunks, but the principle works.
    I agree with that. Chunking really helps especially with memorising dates. I would do about 15 at a time and then move on

ReputationRep:
    Method of Loci, mind palace technique...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.