Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, please I am having a serious dilemma and I really need help. I am an overseas student and I have 2 scholarships. One to study Public Health for Development at LSHTM and the other to study International Health and Tropical Medicine at Oxford.
    Please I would really appreciate any valuable information that could help me make this crucial choice.
    As concerns career ambitions: I would like to be a public health leader promoting projects to improve health in resource limited settings.
    Patiently waiting for your inputs.
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Both Unis are highly credible and with international recognition in this area, so deciding on simply 'which Uni' is not the way to make this choice. The two courses will not be identical - you need to choose the course that interests you the most, and which has most relevance to your career aims. If you haven't formally studied 'Development' before I would suggest that the LSHTM course might be a better move - and the entire college is focussed on health/medicine. But ultimately its your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot.
    I looked through the modules for both courses and they really were a lot of similarities.
    However, the LSHTM course has a lot of focus on Epidemiology and Biostatistics. But then again, how does one say "No" to Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IST)
    . But then again, how does one say "No" to Oxford?
    If it isn't actually the course you want to do or doesn't really relate to your proposed career - it could be a big waste of time, whatever the University.

ReputationRep:
    You can't go wrong with Oxford, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is the best for everyone.

Oxford has that gravitas to make moves and influence on the world stage which could be highly useful.

If the LSTHM has a superior course that really appeals to and you feel it is right then go for it, but Oxford has to be good to go and congratulations on getting a scholarship.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    If it isn't actually the course you want to do or doesn't really relate to your proposed career - it could be a big waste of time, whatever the University.
    Thanks a lot. I totally understand what you mean.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.