Dead ppl and the living

Watch
thefatone
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Why are people more willing to save lives but not as willing to let others die?
thefatone
Rep:
?
apparently no-one wants to answer this one o.o
ODES_PDES
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thefatone)
apparently no-one wants to answer this one o.o
Go revise man!
thefatone
Rep:
?
(Original post by ODES_PDES)
Go revise man!
haha i will be, i'll just stay logged on on here just to ask occasional maths questions but i'll be absolutely tanning maths today as much as possible
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why are people more willing to save lives but not as willing to let others die?
Because by saving a life you are giving people options, whereas if someone dies that is the end of their road and they have no other options (if, like me, you don't believe in any kind of afterlife).
thefatone
Rep:
?
(Original post by carrotstar)
Because by saving a life you are giving people options, whereas if someone dies that is the end of their road and they have no other options (if, like me, you don't believe in any kind of afterlife).
So you are altruistic towards other not in your personal circle of family and possibly friends?
*forgive me if i sounds like s super hearltess mofo
But then again why does their life matter to you? Do you have a duty to save others lives? What does their life have to do with yours?
carrotstar
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So you are altruistic towards other not in your personal circle of family and possibly friends?
*forgive me if i sounds like s super hearltess mofo
But then again why does their life matter to you? Do you have a duty to save others lives? What does their life have to do with yours?
No, it's a decent question, and one which I'm sure philosophers and/or psychologists might be interested in discussing!
I think there's a limit to how much I would help others. I'm not going to give someone a plaster for a paper cut that's not bleeding, but if they had a nose bleed, or were threatening to jump off a bridge, I would try to help them resolve the problem.

I think to a certain extent morals and compassion are based on the level of guilt you might feel if you weren't to help, and also that you'd hope someone else would do the same for you in that situation.

Humans are very social beings, and if we were to be careless towards one another, we would be very independent and antisocial beings.
thefatone
Rep:
?
No, it's a decent question, and one which I'm sure philosophers and/or psychologists might be interested in discussing!
I think there's a limit to how much I would help others. I'm not going to give someone a plaster for a paper cut that's not bleeding, but if they had a nose bleed, or were threatening to jump off a bridge, I would try to help them resolve the problem.

I think to a certain extent morals and compassion are based on the level of guilt you might feel if you weren't to help, and also that you'd hope someone else would do the same for you in that situation.

Humans are very social beings, and if we were to be careless towards one another, we would be very independent and antisocial beings.
haha neither would i xD

I see so sometimes you aren't doing it out of the goodness of your heart but feel you have a duty to save them if need be

personally i'm the opposite, if i were to witness someone euthanise themselves i would let them, it's their choice, i give them the freedom to do that, i'm not gonna interfere unless they ask me to, however on the flip side i'd never want anyone to save me if i was gonna kill myself
carrotstar
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
haha neither would i xD

I see so sometimes you aren't doing it out of the goodness of your heart but feel you have a duty to save them if need be

personally i'm the opposite, if i were to witness someone euthanise themselves i would let them, it's their choice, i give them the freedom to do that, i'm not gonna interfere unless they ask me to, however on the flip side i'd never want anyone to save me if i was gonna kill myself
Ah ok, euthanasia is a different topic altogether! I definitely support euthanasia and think it should be a basic human right. However, suicide is completely different.

And contrastingly, if I were going to commit suicide, I would want someone to stop me.
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah ok, euthanasia is a different topic altogether! I definitely support euthanasia and think it should be a basic human right. However, suicide is completely different.

And contrastingly, if I were going to commit suicide, I would want someone to stop me.
Why do you make the distinction? Why would you want someone to stop you from making a decision where you've made your mind up?
carrotstar
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by morgan8002)
Why do you make the distinction? Why would you want someone to stop you from making a decision where you've made your mind up?
Because euthanasia is escaping from suffering which cannot be cured on a medical level, but although suicide is an escape from suffering, it's the alternative to the cure. People can walk away from attempting suicide into a new life. People with the option of euthanasia are given the option because they can't walk away into a new life.

edit: Just realised what you were referring to. If I were thinking of suicide, I'd be at a very low point. The fact that I'm at that low point stops me from seeing an alternative. Another person who isn't at the same low point as me will see the alternative. Why make a mistake you can't reverse when there's the chance of a better life out there? Why lock all the doors and throw away the keys without looking behind them?
thefatone
Rep:
?

me too
is it?

Because euthanasia is escaping from suffering which cannot be cured on a medical level, but although suicide is an escape from suffering, it's the alternative to the cure. People can walk away from attempting suicide into a new life. People with the option of euthanasia are given the option because they can't walk away into a new life.

edit: Just realised what you were referring to. If I were thinking of suicide, I'd be at a very low point. The fact that I'm at that low point stops me from seeing an alternative. Another person who isn't at the same low point as me will see the alternative. Why make a mistake you can't reverse when there's the chance of a better life out there? Why lock all the doors and throw away the keys without looking behind them?
Ah but both include killing yourself. one is official and the other isn't.
People can walk away from suicide
I thought euthanasia was also a choice?????

I'm not seeing the big difference between euthanasia and suicide here, in both situations you die, if you not wanting to die isn't your aim then why you going for it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (8)
13.33%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (11)
18.33%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (28)
46.67%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (10)
16.67%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
5%

Watched Threads