Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why are people more willing to save lives but not as willing to let others die?

ReputationRep:
    apparently no-one wants to answer this one o.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    apparently no-one wants to answer this one o.o
    Go revise man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    Go revise man!
    haha i will be, i'll just stay logged on on here just to ask occasional maths questions but i'll be absolutely tanning maths today as much as possible

ReputationRep:
    Why are people more willing to save lives but not as willing to let others die?
    Because by saving a life you are giving people options, whereas if someone dies that is the end of their road and they have no other options (if, like me, you don't believe in any kind of afterlife).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    Because by saving a life you are giving people options, whereas if someone dies that is the end of their road and they have no other options (if, like me, you don't believe in any kind of afterlife).
    So you are altruistic towards other not in your personal circle of family and possibly friends?
    *forgive me if i sounds like s super hearltess mofo
    But then again why does their life matter to you? Do you have a duty to save others lives? What does their life have to do with yours?

ReputationRep:
    So you are altruistic towards other not in your personal circle of family and possibly friends?
    *forgive me if i sounds like s super hearltess mofo
    But then again why does their life matter to you? Do you have a duty to save others lives? What does their life have to do with yours?
    No, it's a decent question, and one which I'm sure philosophers and/or psychologists might be interested in discussing!
    I think there's a limit to how much I would help others. I'm not going to give someone a plaster for a paper cut that's not bleeding, but if they had a nose bleed, or were threatening to jump off a bridge, I would try to help them resolve the problem.

I think to a certain extent morals and compassion are based on the level of guilt you might feel if you weren't to help, and also that you'd hope someone else would do the same for you in that situation.

Humans are very social beings, and if we were to be careless towards one another, we would be very independent and antisocial beings.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's a decent question, and one which I'm sure philosophers and/or psychologists might be interested in discussing!
    I think there's a limit to how much I would help others. I'm not going to give someone a plaster for a paper cut that's not bleeding, but if they had a nose bleed, or were threatening to jump off a bridge, I would try to help them resolve the problem.

I think to a certain extent morals and compassion are based on the level of guilt you might feel if you weren't to help, and also that you'd hope someone else would do the same for you in that situation.

Humans are very social beings, and if we were to be careless towards one another, we would be very independent and antisocial beings.
    haha neither would i xD

I see so sometimes you aren't doing it out of the goodness of your heart but feel you have a duty to save them if need be

personally i'm the opposite, if i were to witness someone euthanise themselves i would let them, it's their choice, i give them the freedom to do that, i'm not gonna interfere unless they ask me to, however on the flip side i'd never want anyone to save me if i was gonna kill myself

ReputationRep:
    haha neither would i xD

I see so sometimes you aren't doing it out of the goodness of your heart but feel you have a duty to save them if need be

personally i'm the opposite, if i were to witness someone euthanise themselves i would let them, it's their choice, i give them the freedom to do that, i'm not gonna interfere unless they ask me to, however on the flip side i'd never want anyone to save me if i was gonna kill myself
    Ah ok, euthanasia is a different topic altogether! I definitely support euthanasia and think it should be a basic human right. However, suicide is completely different.

And contrastingly, if I were going to commit suicide, I would want someone to stop me.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, euthanasia is a different topic altogether! I definitely support euthanasia and think it should be a basic human right. However, suicide is completely different.

And contrastingly, if I were going to commit suicide, I would want someone to stop me.
    Why do you make the distinction? Why would you want someone to stop you from making a decision where you've made your mind up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Why do you make the distinction? Why would you want someone to stop you from making a decision where you've made your mind up?
    Because euthanasia is escaping from suffering which cannot be cured on a medical level, but although suicide is an escape from suffering, it's the alternative to the cure. People can walk away from attempting suicide into a new life. People with the option of euthanasia are given the option because they can't walk away into a new life.

edit: Just realised what you were referring to. If I were thinking of suicide, I'd be at a very low point. The fact that I'm at that low point stops me from seeing an alternative. Another person who isn't at the same low point as me will see the alternative. Why make a mistake you can't reverse when there's the chance of a better life out there? Why lock all the doors and throw away the keys without looking behind them?

ReputationRep:

me too
    is it?

Because euthanasia is escaping from suffering which cannot be cured on a medical level, but although suicide is an escape from suffering, it's the alternative to the cure. People can walk away from attempting suicide into a new life. People with the option of euthanasia are given the option because they can't walk away into a new life.

edit: Just realised what you were referring to. If I were thinking of suicide, I'd be at a very low point. The fact that I'm at that low point stops me from seeing an alternative. Another person who isn't at the same low point as me will see the alternative. Why make a mistake you can't reverse when there's the chance of a better life out there? Why lock all the doors and throw away the keys without looking behind them?
    Ah but both include killing yourself. one is official and the other isn't.
    People can walk away from suicide
    I thought euthanasia was also a choice?????

I'm not seeing the big difference between euthanasia and suicide here, in both situations you die, if you not wanting to die isn't your aim then why you going for it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.