The Student Room Group

Does God exist?

Hello
I'm not sure whether to believe it or not, all my friends and family are religious but with school and sciences telling me things that contradict the bible, I'm just not sure any-more.
What does everybody else think?

Scroll to see replies

You are God, Jay.
i dont wanna answer because then i get criticism from people because they cannot digest my opinion :colonhash:
making a decision by yourself is way better than asking us... because this thread will start a WW3 for sure :unsure:
Reply 3
Yes. God exists. :angel:
Original post by fatima1998
i dont wanna answer because then i get criticism from people because they cannot digest my opinion :colonhash:
making a decision by yourself is way better than asking us... because this thread will start a WW3 for sure :unsure:

Sorry I wasn't trying to start anything. I was just wondering what peoples opinions are and if anybody has been in a similair situation.
Original post by Noodle0
Yes. God exists. :angel:

Okay but how do you know? Like how do you convince yourself?
I guess this is something for yourself to make that decision.
There's so many religions and scientific studies out there that it's hard for anyone to give a specific answer.
Yes, there is scientific evidence for how the earth was made (The Big Bang)
But then again there's also evidence for religious experiences that cannot be explained with science.
So in the end, it's all about you're own opinions.
the term used to describe that your not sure whether you believe in God or not is Agnostic. You learn about it in GCSE Philosophy and Ethics.
Original post by Jay_Gatsby123
Hello
I'm not sure whether to believe it or not, all my friends and family are religious but with school and sciences telling me things that contradict the bible, I'm just not sure any-more.

What are the specific issues you are having? There is a wide variety of christian thought covering many opinions on the bible and science.

TSR no longer has the quality of debates it used to
Reply 8
Hello

I think everyone goes through various stages of belief and unbelief until they meet God personally and encounter the holy spirit.

I am always open to discussions about God's existence, but to date no one can convince me that we came about other than through being created and to be created we needed a creator.

I believe we have a longing which God has put within us to seek Him out and to have a relationship with him.

Everyone is seeking the answer. Science doesn't want see that God has put everything in its place, it would rather come up with theories which are ungrounded and full of its and buts.

I call it the Emperors New Clothes.
Hello

Yes, I am here. What do you want? Hurry up because I have to give ebola to some children in like five minutes.
Original post by Supermonkey92
What are the specific issues you are having? There is a wide variety of christian thought covering many opinions on the bible and science.

TSR no longer has the quality of debates it used to

Well I really enjoy Science in school and reading up on scientific study's on evolution, origin of life and the big bang etc, And to me it does make sense. But these theories contridict the bible and I was taught that the bible was factual. So yeah kinda confused.
It's best not to ask on TSR because this thread will likely derail into a slanging match of Atheists and Theists.
On the one hand, there are arguments that the contradictions in the bible are too plentiful, and the idea that a god simply sat back and watched as monsters ravaged the land (An inscription on the walls of one of Auschwitz's buildings roughly went "If there is a god, he will have to beg for my mercy"). On the other hand, there are arguments about where the universe came from. It's probably best I don't tell you where I am personally, and it's probably best if we all try to avoid implying where we are otherwise we'll see this thread go off onto that slanging match I mentioned.
Depends if you still want imaginary friends or not.
Reply 13
everyone has a right to an opinion.

I don't believe in him but during my exam today; for some reason i kept on repeating the lords prayer over and over just in case he is...

you know just in case he can help me pick up a few extra marks.
I know it sounds silly.
Reply 14
Hello

You mean "science" contradicts what you have been led to believe the bible is saying?

Pls give an example.
Well I really enjoy Science in school and reading up on scientific study's on evolution, origin of life and the big bang etc, And to me it does make sense. But these theories contridict the bible and I was taught that the bible was factual. So yeah kinda confused.

Just to point out that evolution and the origin of life from natural processes are perfectly compatible with Christianity and the bible. And of course Christians are absolutely comfortable with the Big Bang, some even use it as evidence for God.

Your queries about evolution and the origin of life contradicting the bible seem to be specifically talking of Genesis.

Here's a good video of science and Genesis, specifically how to read Genesis.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5bKa92eLkQM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello
Much of the Bible is allegorical.
yep, i was born into a religious family but overtime religious experiences like numinous, miracles and dreams has lead to my support in belief in God
Reply 18
I've always thought about putting the two together. I adore science, I'm going to university to study it, and funnily enough I pair it strongly with my Christian faith.

"Nothing comes from nothing" as they say, so yes, there's evidence from the big bang. But who put it there? Who put the atoms there to create it? It's always so fascinating in this debate.

That's what I think! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NJA
You mean "science" contradicts what you have been led to believe the bible is saying?

Pls give an example.

evolution...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending