Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I'm currently a first year student but have found the year in my university very difficult as it's far from home and the 'friends' here tend to not be very friendly with me so it's even harder. I want to know if I'd be able to transfer to a different uni for my second and third year or if I have to re-apply through ucas, it would be too late for me to reapply now so I'd have to apply for 2017 and I wouldn't see the point in having a year off just to go to uni again, so I really just want a transfer. I would like to live in halls but I'm not sure if second years do that there and if there'll be space there either, plus I'll be a year behind making friends and what not. I just don't know, am I allowed to transfer or would I have to reapply for 2017 ? And would I be able to live in halls?

    It depends entirely on the course. Your best option is to contact the admissions department of the uni you want to transfer to to firstly find out if they will take transfers. It may be that you will have to start from year 1 again. Some may not do transfers at all and you will have to apply through UCAS (Extra is still open I believe and there'll still be clearing- it just may not have the choice you want). Make sure you talk to your personal tutor at your current uni just so they are aware of your circumstances. They may also be helpful as they could provide a reference if the uni you want to transfer to asks for it.

    I know of some second years who were able to stay in halls but they let the uni know their plans by about February time. It now depends entirely on the university. It probably won't be guaranteed as (successful transfer with the conditions you want going ahead) most unis only guarantee halls for first year students. It can't hurt to try though!
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.