Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help?! Do universities round up or down your module marks and final year grades??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just finished uni and worried about the grade Im gna get - I'm on the borderline between a 2.1 and 1st.

Last year across all my 6 of my modules I got 67.83333 marks. I'm assuming this is rounded up to 68 when they add it with my 3rd year final grade?

This year, I already know the grades for 2 of my modules which were 100% coursework and partially for another 2 module.

Module 1: final grade 63.5 (20 credits)

Module 2: final grade 76.8 (20 credits)

Module 3: partial result 64.5 - 30% of grade, awaiting 70% exam result (20 credits)

Module 4: partial result 55 - 30% of grade, awaiting 70% exam result (20 credits)

Module 5: dissertation - awaiting results (40 credits).

As you can tell a first really depends on my Dissertation performance (assuming my exam results put my modules by a few marks - most of my exams throughout my uni lidpfe has actually improved on my essay averages). But EVERYTIME I calculate my results I ALWAYS, end up with something ridiculously close to a first like 68.888 or 69.4222 - its really doing my head in and Im worried what may actually seperate me from a 1st and 2.1 may just be an essay I didnt spend an extra hour or two working on....

Has anyone alse been in this position and did you get a first or miss out?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by ozzy12)
    Hi, I just finished uni and worried about the grade Im gna get - I'm on the borderline between a 2.1 and 1st.

Last year across all my 6 of my modules I got 67.83333 marks. I'm assuming this is rounded up to 68 when they add it with my 3rd year final grade?

This year, I already know the grades for 2 of my modules which were 100% coursework and partially for another 2 module.

Module 1: final grade 63.5 (20 credits)

Module 2: final grade 76.8 (20 credits)

Module 3: partial result 64.5 - 30% of grade, awaiting 70% exam result (20 credits)

Module 4: partial result 55 - 30% of grade, awaiting 70% exam result (20 credits)

Module 5: dissertation - awaiting results (40 credits).

As you can tell a first really depends on my Dissertation performance (assuming my exam results put my modules by a few marks - most of my exams throughout my uni lidpfe has actually improved on my essay averages). But EVERYTIME I calculate my results I ALWAYS, end up with something ridiculously close to a first like 68.888 or 69.4222 - its really doing my head in and Im worried what may actually seperate me from a 1st and 2.1 may just be an essay I didnt spend an extra hour or two working on....

Has anyone alse been in this position and did you get a first or miss out?
    I believe that for many unis a 69.5 would be rounded up or if you were close and got a 1st in your dissertation, it should mention how they decide in your unis assessment handbook.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.