Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Whats the best way of keeping your answers neat and tidy? Are you allowed a rough paper to do things like see if quadratics factorise etc. to keep your methods and answers easy to read for the examiner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julesaquilina)
    Whats the best way of keeping your answers neat and tidy? Are you allowed a rough paper to do things like see if quadratics factorise etc. to keep your methods and answers easy to read for the examiner?
    You are allowed rough paper. Don't use it. Show all your working, you don't want to lose method marks if your answer goes awry and they don't see your full method that you've put on rough paper.

Just space out all your working, make it sequential and step-wise, i.e: don't start at step 1 at the top and then do step 3 and then step 4 or whatever. Use double line spacing, etc... the examiners are used to not having perfectly neat answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You are allowed rough paper. Don't use it. Show all your working, you don't want to lose method marks if your answer goes awry and they don't see your full method that you've put on rough paper.

Just space out all your working, make it sequential and step-wise, i.e: don't start at step 1 at the top and then do step 3 and then step 4 or whatever. Use double line spacing, etc... the examiners are used to not having perfectly neat answers.
    Should i do my working on the side of the page to keep the flow of my answer or should i just do all my rough work as i go down the page?

ReputationRep:
    Should i do my working on the side of the page to keep the flow of my answer or should i just do all my rough work as i go down the page?
    Most of the work as you go down the page, and if you'd like, you could do some of the really inane calculations on the side, if you want. But there's absolutely no problem with just doing it all down the page.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the work as you go down the page, and if you'd like, you could do some of the really inane calculations on the side, if you want. But there's absolutely no problem with just doing it all down the page.
    So it doesnt matter if theres lots of crossing out?

ReputationRep:
    So it doesnt matter if theres lots of crossing out?
    Certainly not.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not.
    Alright thanks haha, just another thought is there a rule about underlining answers? Like.... Once? Twice? With a ruler? Or no underlines at all?

ReputationRep:
    Alright thanks haha, just another thought is there a rule about underlining answers? Like.... Once? Twice? With a ruler? Or no underlines at all?
    Whatever you feel like, it's not going to matter.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you feel like, it's not going to matter.
    We were never taught how to set out our work haha thats all Thanks for all your help. Do you have c1 tomo?

ReputationRep:
    We were never taught how to set out our work haha thats all Thanks for all your help. Do you have c1 tomo?
    Don't worry, it's normal to be nervous about this sort of thing, just know that the examiners are interested in your maths and they're not much concerned about how it's laid out as long as it's reasonably legible.

And no, I sat C1 in Jan; good luck with yours!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, it's normal to be nervous about this sort of thing, just know that the examiners are interested in your maths and they're not much concerned about how it's laid out as long as it's reasonably legible.

And no, I sat C1 in Jan; good luck with yours!
    Thanks for your help!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.