The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 1 Biology Higher, thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yuki_lover
I think the paper was okay but I screwed up the nitrogen cycle question. Me and my whole year were just annoyed that eutrophication didn't come up as it is an easy six marks

Hahaha I betted with my friends the nitrogen cycle, thermoregulation and the liver would come up. Guess who came back from school rich? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Hahaha I betted with my friends the nitrogen cycle, thermoregulation and the liver would come up. Guess who came back from school rich? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good for you! :smile:

I was really sad about how smoking and drugs didn't come up as those topics I'm really good at....
Original post by MohAhmedRS
What did you write for the sickle cell/malaria question?

i wrote about a natural selection kind of thing, wanting your offspring to have a lower chance of having malaria, therefore interbreeding with someone with sickle but idrk
Original post by aesking
Nope. the question said heterozygous parent(s);
meaning there was
1 homozygous dominant (for not having it)
2 heterozygous
1 recessive.

I would say 75%, because carriers don't actually have the disease they can only pass it on.

I also got 75%.

The exam overall was actually quite easy, the paper was a blessing - especially the 6 marker, natural selection one. I somehow knew that would come up!! So pleased.
Original post by LemonSeed
The people that get it in the countries with malaria keep reproducing causing more people with malaria immunity and they purposely don't treat it so malaria doesn't affect them

i put that it was because sickle cell disease clogs the blood vessels so its hard for the malaria in the blood to reach any organs etc. it was quite a guess
Original post by byaakun
I also got 75%.

The exam overall was actually quite easy, the paper was a blessing - especially the 6 marker, natural selection one. I somehow knew that would come up!! So pleased.

i got 50%?
arghghghgh
Original post by helprevision
i got 50%?
arghghghgh

i also got 50%
Original post by TSlayerr
i also got 50%

I thought it was the percentage of the offspring being a carrier
Original post by helprevision
i got 50%?
arghghghgh

Hmm. then i'm not sure on that one. some are saying 50%, some are saying 75%
BUT TBH, it doesn't really matter as it's only like very little marks, right?
I found the exam relatively easy, however I've seen a mixed response to this year's paper. Quite a few people are claiming it was hard!

Personally, the six markers were godsends for me. Reckon I got 6/6 on both of them. :biggrin:
Original post by LemonSeed
My year just finished the Higher B1 Edexcel paper! What's everyone's thoughts?
We all knew that the nitrogen cycle question would come up, right?
I definitely did really well, I revised everything that came up.

hated it, knew the thermoregulation stuff really well - but the sickle cell disease and malaria stumped me. What did people put for it? (i put it was because sickle cell disease is where the blood vessels get clogged up so the malaria would not be able to flow through the blood with much extent). i didn't like the 6 markers as i only briefly learnt the nitrogen cycle like an hour before the exam (what were peoples answers to that?) and also what about darwins idea of natural selection??
Original post by L0st45
I found the exam relatively easy, however I've seen a mixed response to this year's paper. Quite a few people are claiming it was hard!

Personally, the six markers were godsends for me. Reckon I got 6/6 on both of them. :biggrin:

For the people claiming the Biology exam was hard, was the same response we got; except it was only mostly from the people doing AQA
(edited 7 years ago)
I wrote 50% because parents were homozygous dominate and heterozygous so you get FF Ff ff Ff , 25% child born with disease
50% chance being carrier
25% chances unaffected
AQA was a nightmare. Consider you edexcel lot lucky.
Original post by Moon.idk
I wrote 50% because parents were homozygous dominate and heterozygous so you get FF Ff ff Ff , 25% child born with disease
50% chance being carrier
25% chances unaffected

that's weird..some people on here are saying: they got 50% from 2 heterozygous parents, but now you are saying one of them was homozygous dominate and the other heterozygous - which also works out as 50% if the question asked about the carriers? Then you get 75%, if the question was asking about not catching the disease itself. idek.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by byaakun
that's weird..some people on here are saying: they got 50% from 2 heterozygous parents, but now you are saying one of them was homozygous dominate and the other heterozygous - which also works out as 50% if the question asked about the carriers? Then you get 75%, if the question was asking about not catching the disease itself. idek.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moon.idk
50% chance being carrier
25% chances unaffected

Yeah I also got 50% because the two heterozygous are carriers, the recessive actually has the disease and the dominant doesn't have any recessive alleles so they can't be a carrier or exhibit the disease.
What did people put for the last 6 marker on evolution, I put about there be too much offspring for the environment to support, the limited resources causes competition in organisms and only the fittest would survive. The organisms with a better adaption to the environment were more likely to survive and the others would die, the organisms that survived would then breed and the advantageous characteristics would be passed on! I thought that was the right idea? My mate put a completely different thing though!
Original post by Evolution67
What did people put for the last 6 marker on evolution, I put about there be too much offspring for the environment to support, the limited resources causes competition in organisms and only the fittest would survive. The organisms with a better adaption to the environment were more likely to survive and the others would die, the organisms that survived would then breed and the advantageous characteristics would be passed on! I thought that was the right idea? My mate put a completely different thing though!

That's what I put as well:

(Note form)
Genetic variation between individuals in a population.
More young die than can survive to adulthood.
Competition increases for resources that are limited in supply such as mates and food.
Individuals with the characteristics that make them better adapted to the environment are more likely to survive and reproduce successfully.
This allows them to pass on their genes for the characteristics that make them better adapted to the next generation.
Individuals with the characteristics that make them poorly adapted to the environment are less likely to survive and reproduce, decreasing their chances of passing on their genes to the next generation.
Soon there will be a decrease in characteristics that make an individual poorly adapted to the environment and eventually it will be lost.

Not entirely in note form but yh this is what I wrote but worded it better haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vik_k1
What other questions were there for question 6? I know there was the six marker about natural selection but what other ones were there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the role of the bacteria in nitrogen cycle????:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending