Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    EQ: K^– + p → K^+ + K^0 + X

My solution:

LHS strangeness = -1
    RHS strangeness= +2
    therefore, X must = -3 strangeness
    therefore, the quark structure must be (sss).

Mark Scheme says:

1*** (strangeness on LHS is -1)strangeness on RHS without X is +2 /strangeness of X is -3 (one mark)
    thus sss
    OR
    2*** strangeness on RHS without X is +2 / strangeness of X is -1(1 mark)
    thus sdd (2 marks)

I don't understand the part labelled '2***' as strangeness would not be conserved! It can only be 1***, and why is solution 1*** only one mark?

ReputationRep:
    I understand now, if you don't then lemme explain.

EDIT: The question => 'If strangeness is conserved in the equation, determine, with explanation, the quark structure of X'.

It's because K^0 has two potential quarks structures:
    [1] (anti-strange, down) or...
    [2] (anti-down, strange)

therefore we get two possible strangeness values, where
    [1] = -1
    [2] = +1.

Therefore, strangeness of X can be either -1 or -3, depending on which quark structure of K^0 you use. The question wants you to assume both structures are possible, which is not obvious if you haven't done anything like this before. Hope this makes sense and helps! =]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.