The Student Room Group

How do you think the AQA GCSE Biology 1 paper was?

So I sat biology unit one exam today and it was the one exam I did a lot of revision for and did all the recent past papers for and I felt as though the paper was nothing like the recent past papers and a lot harder :'( How did everyone else find it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I found it hard I was expecting the carbon cycle or homeostasis to come up or even the menstrual cycle to come up but it didn't like wtf was the independent company question was it even on the spec why would they ask that
Reply 2
I agree it was so hard, one of the hardest I have done it was truly awful. Some of the questions were not even really biology!
Reply 3
Original post by Helen k
I found it hard I was expecting the carbon cycle or homeostasis to come up or even the menstrual cycle to come up but it didn't like wtf was the independent company question was it even on the spec why would they ask that

Original post by Paba21
I agree it was so hard, one of the hardest I have done it was truly awful. Some of the questions were not even really biology!

Lets hope for low grade boundaries!! Yeh I was really hoping for a menstrual cycle/carbon cycle/vaccine question but no instead it just seemed so random - I even hated the QWC because I never thought they would ask us that :frown:
The paper was awful. What did you guys right for the malaria 4 marker?
Original post by Adzkii786

I put two points :/ not sure if it was enough, but ran out of space
Reply 6
I messed that one up because I said I agree with it because it would reduce no. malaria cases but then I proceeded to write more disadvantages (i.e. two) and presumably you had to put two pros and cons for full marks?:frown: For disadvantages I said that it would affect food chains and genes might spread to other species?

Did you say the reflex action was slower or faster through the brain ?

Original post by Adzkii786
Oh, and WTF was that 2-marker on synapses and the last bit on animal indicators?
How do you get 2 marks for writing about a gap?
Original post by nettogrof
I messed that one up because I said I agree with it because it would reduce no. malaria cases but then I proceeded to write more disadvantages (i.e. two) and presumably you had to put two pros and cons for full marks?:frown: For disadvantages I said that it would affect food chains and genes might spread to other species?

Did you say the reflex action was slower or faster through the brain ?

Faster, as the distance (I think) was shorter
Reply 9
Original post by ReluctantWriter
Oh, and WTF was that 2-marker on synapses and the last bit on animal indicators?
How do you get 2 marks for writing about a gap?

I wrote all about chemicals then realized that was the next question argh!! And I have just remembered what I should have put in the last question as well so annoying, I think I found timing an issue for the first time :frown:
Reply 10
That test was so bad.
Nothing about carbon cycle, vaccinations, immune system, menstrual cycle.

Also the questions were worded very poorly and I nearly run out of time spending most of the exam figuring out what to write.
I do the AQA Igcse, so not the same paper but same board. It was also ridiculous. Nothing like any of the past papers, basically a paper two (application of knowledge) rather than a normal Paper 1 -_-
I wrote all about chemicals then realized that was the next question argh!! And I have just remembered what I should have put in the last question as well so annoying, I think I found timing an issue for the first time :frown:

Yes! I had the same issue, but I've been looking at definitions online, and they seem to include the neurotransmitters bit. Oh well, one mark won't hurt the grade . . . hopefully.
Definitely on the timing. All the other practice papers I did, I finished in like 30 minutes.
Original post by Ben2306
That test was so bad.
Nothing about carbon cycle, vaccinations, immune system, menstrual cycle.

Also the questions were worded very poorly and I nearly run out of time spending most of the exam figuring out what to write.

Basically everything I didn't revise + really confusing questions.

I thought the six marker wasn't too bad though.
i thought the paper wasn't any harder or easier than past papers but there didn't really seem to be a lot about actual knowledge, how did you guys find the 6 marker? I thought that it was really straightforward and easy compared to past 6 mark questions.
Original post by AAK151099
i thought the paper wasn't any harder or easier than past papers but there didn't really seem to be a lot about actual knowledge, how did you guys find the 6 marker? I thought that it was really straightforward and easy compared to past 6 mark questions.

Basically the saving grace of the paper - I wasn't sure how much detail to go into though.
Sorry was that even a biology paper??? Also they seemed to forget that the legal drinking age is 16/18 😂😂

Basically praying for low grade boundaries...
So I sat biology unit one exam today and it was the one exam I did a lot of revision for and did all the recent past papers for and I felt as though the paper was nothing like the recent past papers and a lot harder :'( How did everyone else find it?

did anyone get 0.6 reccuring on the malaria question?
Original post by ellenpeters
did anyone get 0.6 reccuring on the malaria question?

Yes! Phew . . .
I did it think it was too bad supprisingly enough!

Quick Reply

Latest