The Student Room Group

Subject choice for uni?

Hey guys, I'm facing a bit of a dilemma right now about my subject choice for uni.
My options are Maths and Philosophy or Engineering.

Previously I had been really committed to doing engineering and I have done quite a few work experience, have an engineering scholarship.
But recently I started to really doubt about my choice and I came across Maths and Philosophy which I am really interested in. I have two UKMT gold and got into second round twice.

I really want to go to Oxford as it's one of the best and I really like their system. I am sure I can secure a 7 for maths and probably for physics. But considering about job prospects, I'm not too sure about what I can do after MathPhil?

Any advice would be so much appreciated, thank you guys.
Reply 1
Lots of maths graduates go into finance, programming and other areas demanding a high level of mathematical literacy. Your choices might be affected a bit by which bits of the maths course you take and how much of your degree ends up being philosophy but you would be very employable in those fields as long as you keep up a reasonable amount of the maths side of the degree.
Reply 2
Original post by BJack
Lots of maths graduates go into finance, programming and other areas demanding a high level of mathematical literacy. Your choices might be affected a bit by which bits of the maths course you take and how much of your degree ends up being philosophy but you would be very employable in those fields as long as you keep up a reasonable amount of the maths side of the degree.

I have decided that if I were gonna go mathphil I'll focus more on maths. But I'm more interested in pure maths rather than applied maths although applied maths is compulsory as well in the course. But with a maths degree, would I need to do something else after to go into jobs or is mathphil sufficient enough to get finance, programming jobs? What about engineering?

But thanks!! That's really helpful!!
Original post by arheaw999
I have decided that if I were gonna go mathphil I'll focus more on maths. But I'm more interested in pure maths rather than applied maths although applied maths is compulsory as well in the course. But with a maths degree, would I need to do something else after to go into jobs or is mathphil sufficient enough to get finance, programming jobs? What about engineering?

No matter what you study, be it Maths, Philosophy, Engineering, Computer Science or whatever, if you want a job, you need
A) the willingness to learn new things
B) initiative to grab and make use of opportunities
C) experience

Study what you enjoy or what makes you happy, and things will fall into clockwork as long as you're not a bum (couldn't think of another word).
Reply 4

Maths, Maths & Philosophy, Engineering are all fine for that career path. As would CompSci (which is also mostly maths).

Actually, in the the Maths & Phil course at Oxford you'd only be doing pure maths. In the first year you take:
Introduction to Pure Mathematics
Linear Algebra (I, II)
Groups and Group Actions
Analysis (I, II, III)
Probability
Introductory Calculus

In the second year you can choose to take applied options (e.g. modelling in mathematical biology, special relativity), but it's not compulsory.

From the third year the maths is all option based.

Regarding careers - our MathPhil graduates have no problems getting the sorts of jobs that Maths graduates get (tech/finance), and are also very well placed for jobs requiring a mathematical background and good writing/communication skills (e.g. civil service fast stream/management consultancy).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending