Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am posting this because I'm really worried about doing badly in this exam which is on Friday as my teacher isn't giving me any support so I've resorted to coming here!

1. Have you got any question predictions for streetcar or the poetry essays?
    2. How do you set out both essays? (to get an A grade)
    3. Have you got any good quotes that would be useful for several themes??

Thanks to anyone that helps me, I'm really stressed out about this !!!

ReputationRep:
    hi, here is some of the main quotes you may need for Streetcar, hope that helps !

Stella’s quotes
    • Page 81 ‘you needn’t been so cruel to someone as alone as she is’ – standing up for her sister
    • Page 46 ‘there are things that happen between a man and a woman in the dark that sort of make everything else seem unimportant’ – her explaining herself to Blanche
    • Page 2 ‘a gentle young woman… of a background obviously quite different from her husbands’ – Stella’s first appearance
    • Page 54 ‘ill wait on you Blanche. Makes it seem more like home’ – her sarcastic tone

Stanley’s quotes
    • Page 13 ‘of medium height… strongly, compactly built’ – to explain his physique.
    • Page 13 ‘the gaudy seed bearer’ and ‘a richly feathered male bird among hens’
    • Page 31 ‘you hens cut out that conversation in there!’
    • Page 80 ‘I’m team captain, ain’t I? all right, then we’re not going bowling at rileys’ – showing his authority.
    • Scene 3- ‘Stanley speaks humbly’
    • You could pick out some speech which shows his lack of education

Blanche’s quotes
    • Page 57 ‘I’ve got to be good to keep my hands off children’—shows B’s weaknesses
    • Page 29 Stanley says ‘nobody is going to get up…’ this contrasts with the end of the play when all the men get up upon her departure.
    • ‘moth like decaying’, ‘vulnerability’, ‘daintily dressed’, ‘white suit’, ‘fluffy bodice’, ‘necklace and earrings of pearl’ and ‘delicate beauty’ – all the imagery used to describe blanche when she first arrived.

Mitch’s quotes
    • page 89 ‘you’re not clean enough to bring in the house with my mother’ – him rejecting blanche about her past
    • page 98 ‘you… you… you… brag… brag…brag…bull…bull…’ – standing up to Stanley
    • page 106 ‘you! You done all thins, all of your god damn interfering with things, you!’ mitch again standing up to Stanley
    • page 62 ‘a heavy build’ – how he is described.

Madness quotes
    • page 10 (blanche) ‘I can’t be alone! Because as you must have noticed- I’m not very well.’ – first sign of Blanche’s insecurities
    • Page 11 (Stella) tells B to stop with these ‘hysterical outburst’
    • Page 85 (blanche) ‘there now, the shot! That always puts a stop to it!’ – when she is talking to mitch, this shows how insane she is—Williams presents this so the only character hearing this is blanche (its in her head)

Social class
    • Page 46 ‘well if you’ll forgive me, he’s common!’ Blanche’s way of describing blanche
    • Page 47 ‘sub human’ and ‘ape like’ – how blanche refers to him
    • Belle reve= beautiful dream

Death
    • ‘burned like rubbish’ page 12
    • ‘blood stained pillow slips’ page 88
    • blanche dreams of being ‘buried at sea’
    • ‘sewn up in a clean white sack’ page 102

ReputationRep:
    Also a few of the poem summaries

A minor role· -Narrator isdying
    Dramaticmonologue ·
    All in freeverse· Linked byalliteration and assense·
    Someenjamblement but constanly interrupted by cexura·
    Only addressedin 3rd stanza ·
    Last twolines= full address ·
    Majority iambic= relaxed tone. ·
    ‘all theworlds a stage’ (Shakesphere) –metaphor for her playing her part in life· she exploressocial expectations
    Links: · on herblindness (social presence)
    · opposes genetics

Genetics· form=Villanelle (19lines 5 tercets and 1 quatrain)·
    takes concreteideas of hands to explore her thoughts·
    2ndline in each= half rhyme (half and half of parents)· form= suggestscircularity- joining of the hands at a wedding
    Links: · one herblindness- explore emotion · on herblindness= optimism · a minor role=social pressures

Effects· Form= dramaticmonologue·
    Only 2sentences·
    Unstoppableflow of feelings ·
    Tightly but irregularlyrhymed ·
    associationbetween closeness and distance ·
    Rhymes becomemore frequent, with a rhyming triplet at end ·
    Enjambment-endless working- consciousness that he wasn’t there·
    Contrast with narrator’sgeneralisation VS mothers
    Links: · On her blindness-regret· Genetics-hands for features· One herblindness- what mother was like

On her blindness·
    Dramatic monologue·
    Apart fromcouplets- it reads in prose
    · Use of enjambment, breaks across units of sense·
    Final line=single- could mirror mother dying ·
    Language=largely plain, conversational ·
    Tone= flat,truthful ·
    Theme=challenging experience of disability
    Links: · Genetics- bothsuffering · Genetics=emotion · Genetics=optimism

Material · Regular rhymescheme= regular mother·
    Centered around iambic pentameter·
    Linked byrandom ½ rhymens with patches of insecurency and regret- is moden world betterthan old? ·
    Title refers to her mothers own personal belongins
    Links: · Map woman-similar kind of society · Inheritance-similar themesInheritance·
    Theme of legacy ·
    No rhymingstructure- showing how she thinks·
    Societypressure to leave cash- she prefers skills
    · A mothersperspective another one about human relationships·
    Loosestructure of couplets, quatrains and a triplet which can make the poem seendisjointed ·
    Politicalmessage of that woman left nothing behind
    Links: · Genetics-subject matter· Out of thebad- past and present· Material You,

Shiva and My Mum·
    Series ofquestions addressed to an invisible listener to frame the narrative· Layout=shifting- unsure on who she is speaking to ·
    Lots of enjambment-disorientating effect
    Links: · Look we havecoming to dover- cultural diversity issues · Issues ofmotherhood/ another child’s perspective
    To my Nine- Year- Old self·
    Dialog betweenherself now and younger self·
    Addresses her younger self through personal pronouns ·
    Grown up feels separate from the younger self·
    Iambic=conversations
    · Narratorreally knows her nine year old self
    · Youngerspeaker never speaks
    · Nostalgic andenvious of her younger days · Contrastbetween present and younger self
    · Loss ofinnocence with older self
    · Lack ofunderstanding between generations.
    Links: · As easypassage · Leisure centre· The furthestdistance I’ve travelled.

An Easy Passage ·
    Vignette- abrief account which captures a moment In time ·
    See it througha child narrator ·
    Detached narrative
    · Long freeverse- freedom in life ready to be structure
    · Last stanza=inevitability
    · References tofuture- astrology, older secretary and girls mum showing future
    · Continualstanza= freedom
    Links: · To mynine-year-old self- freedom · History-perspective· The map woman-reluctant of younger days · The furthestdistance I’ve travelled- making journeys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mstudent13)
    hi, here is some of the main quotes you may need for Streetcar, hope that helps !

Stella’s quotes
    • Page 81 ‘you needn’t been so cruel to someone as alone as she is’ – standing up for her sister
    • Page 46 ‘there are things that happen between a man and a woman in the dark that sort of make everything else seem unimportant’ – her explaining herself to Blanche
    • Page 2 ‘a gentle young woman… of a background obviously quite different from her husbands’ – Stella’s first appearance
    • Page 54 ‘ill wait on you Blanche. Makes it seem more like home’ – her sarcastic tone

Stanley’s quotes
    • Page 13 ‘of medium height… strongly, compactly built’ – to explain his physique.
    • Page 13 ‘the gaudy seed bearer’ and ‘a richly feathered male bird among hens’
    • Page 31 ‘you hens cut out that conversation in there!’
    • Page 80 ‘I’m team captain, ain’t I? all right, then we’re not going bowling at rileys’ – showing his authority.
    • Scene 3- ‘Stanley speaks humbly’
    • You could pick out some speech which shows his lack of education

Blanche’s quotes
    • Page 57 ‘I’ve got to be good to keep my hands off children’—shows B’s weaknesses
    • Page 29 Stanley says ‘nobody is going to get up…’ this contrasts with the end of the play when all the men get up upon her departure.
    • ‘moth like decaying’, ‘vulnerability’, ‘daintily dressed’, ‘white suit’, ‘fluffy bodice’, ‘necklace and earrings of pearl’ and ‘delicate beauty’ – all the imagery used to describe blanche when she first arrived.

Mitch’s quotes
    • page 89 ‘you’re not clean enough to bring in the house with my mother’ – him rejecting blanche about her past
    • page 98 ‘you… you… you… brag… brag…brag…bull…bull…’ – standing up to Stanley
    • page 106 ‘you! You done all thins, all of your god damn interfering with things, you!’ mitch again standing up to Stanley
    • page 62 ‘a heavy build’ – how he is described.

Madness quotes
    • page 10 (blanche) ‘I can’t be alone! Because as you must have noticed- I’m not very well.’ – first sign of Blanche’s insecurities
    • Page 11 (Stella) tells B to stop with these ‘hysterical outburst’
    • Page 85 (blanche) ‘there now, the shot! That always puts a stop to it!’ – when she is talking to mitch, this shows how insane she is—Williams presents this so the only character hearing this is blanche (its in her head)

Social class
    • Page 46 ‘well if you’ll forgive me, he’s common!’ Blanche’s way of describing blanche
    • Page 47 ‘sub human’ and ‘ape like’ – how blanche refers to him
    • Belle reve= beautiful dream

Death
    • ‘burned like rubbish’ page 12
    • ‘blood stained pillow slips’ page 88
    • blanche dreams of being ‘buried at sea’
    • ‘sewn up in a clean white sack’ page 102

thanks so much!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mstudent13)
    Also a few of the poem summaries

A minor role· -Narrator isdying
    Dramaticmonologue ·
    All in freeverse· Linked byalliteration and assense·
    Someenjamblement but constanly interrupted by cexura·
    Only addressedin 3rd stanza ·
    Last twolines= full address ·
    Majority iambic= relaxed tone. ·
    ‘all theworlds a stage’ (Shakesphere) –metaphor for her playing her part in life· she exploressocial expectations
    Links: · on herblindness (social presence)
    · opposes genetics

Genetics· form=Villanelle (19lines 5 tercets and 1 quatrain)·
    takes concreteideas of hands to explore her thoughts·
    2ndline in each= half rhyme (half and half of parents)· form= suggestscircularity- joining of the hands at a wedding
    Links: · one herblindness- explore emotion · on herblindness= optimism · a minor role=social pressures

Effects· Form= dramaticmonologue·
    Only 2sentences·
    Unstoppableflow of feelings ·
    Tightly but irregularlyrhymed ·
    associationbetween closeness and distance ·
    Rhymes becomemore frequent, with a rhyming triplet at end ·
    Enjambment-endless working- consciousness that he wasn’t there·
    Contrast with narrator’sgeneralisation VS mothers
    Links: · On her blindness-regret· Genetics-hands for features· One herblindness- what mother was like

On her blindness·
    Dramatic monologue·
    Apart fromcouplets- it reads in prose
    · Use of enjambment, breaks across units of sense·
    Final line=single- could mirror mother dying ·
    Language=largely plain, conversational ·
    Tone= flat,truthful ·
    Theme=challenging experience of disability
    Links: · Genetics- bothsuffering · Genetics=emotion · Genetics=optimism

Material · Regular rhymescheme= regular mother·
    Centered around iambic pentameter·
    Linked byrandom ½ rhymens with patches of insecurency and regret- is moden world betterthan old? ·
    Title refers to her mothers own personal belongins
    Links: · Map woman-similar kind of society · Inheritance-similar themesInheritance·
    Theme of legacy ·
    No rhymingstructure- showing how she thinks·
    Societypressure to leave cash- she prefers skills
    · A mothersperspective another one about human relationships·
    Loosestructure of couplets, quatrains and a triplet which can make the poem seendisjointed ·
    Politicalmessage of that woman left nothing behind
    Links: · Genetics-subject matter· Out of thebad- past and present· Material You,

Shiva and My Mum·
    Series ofquestions addressed to an invisible listener to frame the narrative· Layout=shifting- unsure on who she is speaking to ·
    Lots of enjambment-disorientating effect
    Links: · Look we havecoming to dover- cultural diversity issues · Issues ofmotherhood/ another child’s perspective
    To my Nine- Year- Old self·
    Dialog betweenherself now and younger self·
    Addresses her younger self through personal pronouns ·
    Grown up feels separate from the younger self·
    Iambic=conversations
    · Narratorreally knows her nine year old self
    · Youngerspeaker never speaks
    · Nostalgic andenvious of her younger days · Contrastbetween present and younger self
    · Loss ofinnocence with older self
    · Lack ofunderstanding between generations.
    Links: · As easypassage · Leisure centre· The furthestdistance I’ve travelled.

An Easy Passage ·
    Vignette- abrief account which captures a moment In time ·
    See it througha child narrator ·
    Detached narrative
    · Long freeverse- freedom in life ready to be structure
    · Last stanza=inevitability
    · References tofuture- astrology, older secretary and girls mum showing future
    · Continualstanza= freedom
    Links: · To mynine-year-old self- freedom · History-perspective· The map woman-reluctant of younger days · The furthestdistance I’ve travelled- making journeys
    Thank you very much!!

ReputationRep:
    How did you all find the exam!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.