issathemuslim1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
how did everyone find the biology unit 1 aqa 2016 paper today?
luckycactus1337
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What did you write for 6 marker?
neeneepanini
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by luckycactus1337)
What did you write for 6 marker?
I said carbohydrates release energy, fats release energy and are also stored for insulation, proteins are used for cell repair, replacement and growth, fibres are used to keep the digestive system working, and vitamins are needed in small amounts to keep basic bodily functions healthy. I didn't know what else to put after that lol
neeneepanini
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by issathemuslim1)
how did everyone find the biology unit 1 aqa 2016 paper today?
I found it alright, except for that independent company question like wth was that??
Imirrelevant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would saying Carbohydrates and fats "produce" energy be acceptable instead of "release" do you think?
ProbablyJade
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didn't talk about fibre, i did carbohydrates, proteins fats and cholesterol (all with reasonings)
Charlie223
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The test was ok, AQA condoning underage drinking, though!
iRockyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you reckon I would get marks for identifying the components like fats, carbohydrates, proteins etc? I didn't mention the functions of them though - mind went blank. I also mentioned that all these components are needed because in order to have a healthy diet you need a balance of these components. If it does become unbalanced then you could become malnourished - overweight and underweight. Do think I would get marks for putting this in my answer for the 6 marker?
iRockyy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Charlie223)
The test was ok, AQA condoning underage drinking, though!
What did you put for that question?
Charlie223
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iRockyy)
What did you put for that question?
I'm a GCSE student myself, but I would say you would get some marks for that 6 marker.

I can't remember what I wrote or what the question was, but it was something like this. Boys seem to drink more beer than girls as (quoted a figure) drink beer in boy and (quoted a figure) in girls, while girls seem to drink more (listed the alcohols) than boys. (It was only 2 marks so I didn't think to go into much detail)
hnadwa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iRockyy)
Do you reckon I would get marks for identifying the components like fats, carbohydrates, proteins etc? I didn't mention the functions of them though - mind went blank. I also mentioned that all these components are needed because in order to have a healthy diet you need a balance of these components. If it does become unbalanced then you could become malnourished - overweight and underweight. Do think I would get marks for putting this in my answer for the 6 marker?
partially? because it did state that you need to explain why you need the components. I,e carbs because its a slow release of energy.
iRockyy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's basically what I put!!
Alystahh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What did everyone get for the amount of mosquitos that spread malaria? The percentage question with the standard form
Harrygodfrey132
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alystahh)
What did everyone get for the amount of mosquitos that spread malaria? The percentage question with the standard form
I got 66.66%
CBC123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got 0.66%
issathemuslim1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Imirrelevant)
Would saying Carbohydrates and fats "produce" energy be acceptable instead of "release" do you think?

no, bc they dont produce energy bro
issathemuslim1
Rep:
?
(Original post by SugarBubbles2000)
I said carbohydrates release energy, fats release energy and are also stored for insulation, proteins are used for cell repair, replacement and growth, fibres are used to keep the digestive system working, and vitamins are needed in small amounts to keep basic bodily functions healthy. I didn't know what else to put after that lol
could have mentioned water - required for all chemical reactions to take place in the body and it keeps you hydrated
neeneepanini
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by issathemuslim1)
could have mentioned water - required for all chemical reactions to take place in the body and it keeps you hydrated
Ahh I forgot about water!! That's probably one of the most important components tbh
KaiaLe
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For the 6 marker I didn't write about vitamins because I thought it said "mineral ions and vitamins..." at the beginning, oops
TheConfusedMedic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The diet topic and indicator animals topics were the only ones I didn't really revise and they both came up
I was doing the whole 6 marker on educated guess work but don't know if it's right
- carbohydrates
- convert into glucose for respiration, energy release
- convert into glycogen to be used by the muscles (?)
- fats
- energy source when insufficient carbohydrates
- energy store
- proteins
- broken down into amino acids to be built into other substances needed by the body
- vitamins/minerals
- correct functioning of the body
- water
- used to transport substances
- osmosis, stability of cells so that animal cells do not shrivel (I had no idea what I was writing lol)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads