Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go and study maths and have high aspirations. So what University is better out of the two and why?? any pros and cons mention it below

I'll give Cambridge a conditional vote on this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geeeeek)
    I really want to go and study maths and have high aspirations. So what University is better out of the two and why?? any pros and cons mention it below
    Can you go to their open days? You'd be better of researching and deciding for yourself. Or at least sharing more specifically what you're looking for from your degree and/or university of choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    Can you go to their open days? You'd be better of researching and deciding for yourself. Or at least sharing more specifically what you're looking for from your degree and/or university of choice.

i want to study finance as it gives me the foundation for my career to be a ceo of a company. But what university would be better out of the two and is generally known for the better facilities and grades etc
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    i want to study finance as it gives me the foundation for my career to be a ceo of a company. But what university would be better out of the two and is generally known for the better facilities and grades etc
    I'll assume you aren't trolling for the moment...

Why have you considered Oxford and Cambridge in the first place? Apart from their "reputation".

And what A-Levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yh it was a mistake i meant i wanted to study finance and didnt know which uni would provide a better course.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on what you want to study.

ReputationRep:
    In general, Cambridge has a better reputation for Maths, although both are absolutely fine for going into finance. But seriously, your "career as CEO of a company" won't be dependent on your degree, but how you perform at your job. You can't just walk in straight from uni and become a CEO lol, obviously the degree will help you get into a grad role but experience and a fantastic track record of success is what you'll need to become a CEO, and then some!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I'll assume you aren't trolling for the moment...

Why have you considered Oxford and Cambridge in the first place? Apart from their "reputation".

And what A-Levels are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maths, Business, economics and further maths.

Why not aim high and try do the best in life. Plus they are known for their amazing results and quality of education
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Maths, Business, economics and further maths.

Why not aim high and try do the best in life. Plus they are known for their amazing results and quality of education
    So, as others have said, go to open days, study the courses details, understand the differing entry requirements, etc etc

Then make a considered choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh it was a mistake i meant i wanted to study finance and didnt know which uni would provide a better course.
    Neither of them do an undergraduate course in finance.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Neither of them do an undergraduate course in finance.
    They want to do Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by jneill)
    They want to do Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's what I thought from their original post but then they said finance. Sorry, I guess I didn't read through the thread!

Edit: Nope, they definitely said that they want to study maths. Then that they want to study finance. I'm confused.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Platopus)
    That's what I thought from their original post but then they said finance. Sorry, I guess I didn't read through the thread!

Edit: Nope, they definitely said that they want to study maths. Then that they want to study finance. I'm confused.
    They think Maths is the route to a job in finance (by which I presume they mean IB) and therefore starting their career to becoming a ceo...

And no one has yet pointed out that pretty much any degree can lead to an IB career. So I'll chuck that in now...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.