Why AQA B1 Biology messed up Watch

SamOllieB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A lot of the specification was not on the B1 examination. Here's a list;

.Defense against disease, Growing microbes, Control in the body, Hormones, Fertility, hormones in plants, drugs in medicine, adaptations, Biosmass, Carbon Cycle, Causes of variation, reproduction, cloning

A list that long should not exist! AQA have screwed us
NoNameToSeeHere
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What's more is that it gives us an indication on how the rest of the AQA exams will be. I might as well just revise Fractional Distillation and Cracking only for the C1 exam if the topics aren't going to be diverse...
JessThomas6
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's the same on the AS exams so far (new spec)
New spec can be explained because it's the first year
Apparently old spec they're ending it so didn't produce lots of new questions.
They're long specs, with shorter exams. Yes you revised all of it, but that's what happens with exams.
xEmilyxx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Today's exam has put me off not just science, but English Lit and Language (not that they can really mess up on these either) and History. I have more faith in Edexcel maths than ever before, and that's usually the exam board that tends to throw in the controversial questions.
Snakeyyyyyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SamOllieB)

.Defense against disease, Growing microbes, Control in the body, Hormones, Fertility, hormones in plants, drugs in medicine, adaptations, Biosmass, Carbon Cycle, Causes of variation, reproduction, cloning

That was a really confusing weird ass exam
TheConfusedMedic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

someone calculated that less than 10% of the topics listed in the revision guide actually came up..
AQA f*cked us all over and didn't even test our knowledge :/
JessThomas6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by surina16)
someone calculated that less than 10% of the topics listed in the revision guide actually came up..
For psychology this year we had 3 of 27 topics come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Collinsonwill
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggled
Bulletzone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Bruh I did Biology 1 last year and it was probably hard this year, but I too can remember doing most of those topics.

-Defense against diseases--Antigens/Antitoxins/Some Engulf them.

-Growing Microbes- About 20 Degrees Celsius in school labs (safe) and higher in industry (unsafe as stronger microbes are formed).-Control in the body-Homeostasis (E.g. shivering when cold, Insulin when high cholesterol).I could do this for all the topics.........Maybe the context was just different?
George Binnie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I too found this exam horrible and would like to say that this exam was extremely poorly worded and I spent half my exam considering what the questions where actually looking for in the end I hadn't finished I was stressed and as the first GCSE it has lowered my confidence I am very annoyed that I spent so long revising the specification to enter the exam extremely positive and to come out upset this is extremely disappointing.
George Binnie
1jonam16
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by surina16)
I think they really tested your knowledge and application. You'll get what you deserve.
Himtiaz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS-HgwUB3Ow
Certified
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Adaptations, biomass and causes of variation came up.
ansonslp
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Collinsonwill)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggled
I don't think I struggled. I just kinda think I won't be getting the mark I was expecting.
I revised the whole specimen and all the harder core topics of B1 like hormones, menstrual cycle, tropisms, genetic engineering, homeostasis.

And what I get? 1 question on microorganisms respiring, 1 question on evolution, 1 question on snails that was messed up and 1 question on what is an independent company... Absolute BS...
georgiahermione
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ansonslp)
I don't think I struggled. I just kinda think I won't be getting the mark I was expecting.
I revised the whole specimen and all the harder core topics of B1 like hormones, menstrual cycle, tropisms, genetic engineering, homeostasis.

And what I get? 1 question on microorganisms respiring, 1 question on evolution, 1 question on snails that was messed up and 1 question on what is an independent company... Absolute BS...
Same I went in with high expectations that the main topics that have always come up would come up and then i got super bummed out when i saw the questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (146)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.91%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (133)
16.9%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.36%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (240)
30.5%

Watched Threads