Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite annoyed at the moment. I don't know why this girl acted this way. So one evening we were walking in the same direction, I walked past her but she smelt good, so I just complemented her about it.

Then we started talking for about 10 minutes until she reached her home and she went. A few months later, when it was Christmas, I gave her a Christmas card, as I did with a lot of my neighbours, people I knew.

But now she thinks I fancy her or something and she's telling everyone that I flirt with her and that. I don't get why some people mistake kindness for flirting.

What should I do? I get annoyed when people tease me with saying I like her and this and that when I don't even think about her.

How do I deal with this situation?

ReputationRep:
    Well yes, many girls can't spot the difference between kindness and flirting but that's also because many boys are acting very weird when they try to get a girl, so maybe that's a possibility. People are not honest enough because they're afraid of regection. Personally I see this as a selfish kind of people.
    What you should do is talking straight to her. Be serious and don't let her shirk, tell her directly what you know about what she did and assure her that you are only her friend and her actions are childish and she has to ask you before spreading such informations all over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justtryingtolive)
    I'm quite annoyed at the moment. I don't know why this girl acted this way. So one evening we were walking in the same direction, I walked past her but she smelt good, so I just complemented her about it.

Then we started talking for about 10 minutes until she reached her home and she went. A few months later, when it was Christmas, I gave her a Christmas card, as I did with a lot of my neighbours, people I knew.

But now she thinks I fancy her or something and she's telling everyone that I flirt with her and that. I don't get why some people mistake kindness for flirting.

What should I do? I get annoyed when people tease me with saying I like her and this and that when I don't even think about her.

How do I deal with this situation?
    People misinterpret signs all the time, its easy to do. If its bothering you that people think you like her, you should speak to her and tell her its nothing more than friends. People will forget about it soon anyway!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.