Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

Would be nice to know if anyone is planning to apply or has already done so for MA/MRes Medieval Studies course at UoR. Or maybe someone is studying it currently and could shed some light on different questions that may arise here!

I'll start then:
    I'm an EU student, graduated ages (5 years) ago from History. I am going to apply for MRes Medieval Studies soon enough (as soon as I'm done with writing my Statement of Purpose). My main focus is probably going to be the Crusades, even though I'm not entirerly sure yet

There was a tiny bit of talking about the course in this theard - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4034819, but it seemed to be a better idea to create a completely new topic for anyone interested.

ReputationRep:
    I also graduated 5 years ago (Classical Civ.) and have spent the last few years in various jobs at home and abroad.
    I'll be applying to study for an MA in Medieval Studies. I have considered both the MA and MRes, but on balance I think I'm more suited to a Taught Masters.

My interests in the Medieval period are pretty varied. I am particularly interested in the language and literature of the period, and (if I get a place) will probably take the optional modules on Anglo-Saxon literature and Geoffrey Chaucher.

ReputationRep:
    Hi - I have also applied for this course at Reading. Waiting to hear back but fingers crossed. If I get accepted it would be good to create a support/social group of like-minded medievalists. Have either of you heard back from Reading about your application? Good luck, Luke

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I actually got accepted last week (decided to go with MRes) and I'm incredibly thrilled - I applied in early June, so it took me more than a month to get an answer but I suspect it had something to do with me being a semi-international candidate (on top of that I had some technical issues).

I hope you'll get your good news soon aswell!

(And a social group sounds like a great idea)
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Luke--03)
    Hi - I have also applied for this course at Reading. Waiting to hear back but fingers crossed. If I get accepted it would be good to create a support/social group of like-minded medievalists. Have either of you heard back from Reading about your application? Good luck, Luke
    The Student Union's has a great History society which interconnects the History discipline together which I'd throughly recommend, they certainly welcome more Postgraduates to get involved in the society http://www.rusu.co.uk/societies/MakingHistory

Best of luck with your application

Mark
    2nd Year Accounting and Management

ReputationRep:
    While I may not comment as an insider yet, having chosen to do research in Reading for 1 year, as part of my PhD, I might be biased That being said, I can only certify that Reading is a great choice for medieval studies : its Medieval Studies Centre has a great and international reputation. Plus I met some of the people there during a conference, and they are very nice and friendly folks

I am also interested in the Crusades, but more through their reception in medieval literature, as I work on French and Anglo-Norman culture.
    So, met you guys in a month in Reading!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.