Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ive heard so many horror stories about this, and literally it's not possible for everyone to get AAA, it just isn't. No matter how hard you try there are people, like me who just get so nervous in an exam that they end up with a B or C if ,they're lucky. I have a family friend who did English lit at bath spa, which no isn't a very good uni in the rankings, but she now works for a fashion magazine company earning £45K and she's only 25. And I know adults in their 40's who've gone to Cambridge and Oxford who don't have a particularly good job. I don't think I'll get into a top uni, and I'm good enough to not go to the lowest Unis in the 100's. I want to do something like English so even if I don't go to an amazing uni, are my career prospects completely doomed?

ReputationRep:
    It depends how clever you are?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambermariemorgan)
    Ive heard so many horror stories about this, and literally it's not possible for everyone to get AAA, it just isn't. No matter how hard you try there are people, like me who just get so nervous in an exam that they end up with a B or C if ,they're lucky. I have a family friend who did English lit at bath spa, which no isn't a very good uni in the rankings, but she now works for a fashion magazine company earning £45K and she's only 25. And I know adults in their 40's who've gone to Cambridge and Oxford who don't have a particularly good job. I don't think I'll get into a top uni, and I'm good enough to not go to the lowest Unis in the 100's. I want to do something like English so even if I don't go to an amazing uni, are my career prospects completely doomed?
    As long as you put the effort in I don't really think it matters what uni you go to. The top unis are only called that because they have really good facilities, lecturers, historically good grades etc. If you work hard and make the most of what you learn then you will succeed no matter where you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambermariemorgan)
    How 'good' your university is doesn't matter nearly as much as people on TSR sometimes suggest. Once you've done one job after graduating, that job and your performance in it will matter more to your next employer than what you studied, where, and what your degree classification was.

It's true that the most successful universities can offer their students more opportunities and there are specific fields (law, I hear, for instance) where the recruitment processes for the next step tend to look at a narrow circle of universities. But for many graduate positions employers are simply looking for someone who's clearly interested in the field, has some kind of relevant experience (perhaps summer work or extracurricular volunteering or what-have-you during the degree), and hopefully a 2.1 or a 1st in pretty much any subject (the degree signals your ability to put in a modicum of work over several years). The fine distinctions between recognised universities which are keenly felt by A-level students don't generally matter much to employers, and as you've observed in the case of your family friend going to a less well-regarded uni by no means dooms your career.

Work hard, talk early to your university's careers service, and when you're at university think ahead about what kind of sector you might like to go into after graduating and do everything you can to get some relevant experience in that sector, and you might surprise yourself with how far you go. The thinking-ahead bit is important: I've seen people with good degrees from very impressive universities struggle afterwards because they hadn't done that. You don't need to be super passionate and have a strong sense of calling, just think of one or two areas you might enjoy working in and begin seeing if you can break into them while at uni.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.