Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HIS2L - Impact of Stalin's leadership on the USSR (Resit 2016) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if anyone was doing this or resitting this.
    If yes would you mind you can share some notes?

I know that this unit is uncommon now but the exam is on the 25th May (PM)
    anyone that is doing this unit goodluck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD742)
    I was just wondering if anyone was doing this or resitting this.
    If yes would you mind you can share some notes?

I know that this unit is uncommon now but the exam is on the 25th May (PM)
    anyone that is doing this unit goodluck.
    I'm doing this too, what topics do we think could appear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OL350)
    I'm doing this too, what topics do we think could appear?
    5 year plans(industrialisation)may come up as well as the cult of personality, but I definitely know that collectivisation will not come up as it came up last year.

Summary: More likely to come up (my predictions)
    Terror
    Industrialisation
    Stalin's Russia by 1941

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD742)
    5 year plans(industrialisation)may come up as well as the cult of personality, but I definitely know that collectivisation will not come up as it came up last year.

Summary: More likely to come up (my predictions)
    Terror
    Industrialisation
    Stalin's Russia by 1941

What do you think?
    I think Stalinism came up on last years exam, that's not to say it won't come up though.

I think industrialisation will come up, as too the leadership struggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OL350)
    I think Stalinism came up on last years exam, that's not to say it won't come up though.

I think industrialisation will come up, as too the leadership struggle.
    I agree and it did, it was a 24 marker but its 50/50, its going to be interesting to see what the grade boundaries are going to be like to be honest.

I just hope its low or just standard.

Do you think 5 year plans will come up?

ReputationRep:
    What's most likely to come up?? I'm not completely sure

ReputationRep:
    Well last year we had:
    Explain how far the views in Source B differ from those in Source A in relation to Stalin. (12)
    How far was Stalin’s rise to power by 1929 due to his rivals underestimating him? (24)

and then either

Question 2:
    Explain why, by 1928, there was growing opposition to the NEP. (12)
    ‘By 1941, Stalinism dominated every aspect of life in the USSR.’ Explain why you agree or disagree with this view. (24)

or

Question 3:
    Explain why, during the 1930s, the Communist Party made heavy industry the mainfocus of the Soviet economy. (12)
    ‘By 1941, the Soviet Union had benefited greatly from collectivisation.’ Explain why you agree or disagree with this view. (24)

I would suggest that there will probably be a 24 marker on Rapid Industrialisation, and possibly the NEP or the Terror.

What does anyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    I think Terror and Industry

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have tips for remembering each topic?

Because I just normally write and rewrite till I remember which its not a very efficient method but it does help. I just want to know about the other methods?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I plan the possible questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD742)
    Does anyone have tips for remembering each topic?

Because I just normally write and rewrite till I remember which its not a very efficient method but it does help. I just want to know about the other methods?
    Thanks
    I go through my notes, use different colour flashcards for each topic and write important points/facts/historical interpretations on them that I can read over and over. Then I plan questions, which is ultimately the most important part of it all, because timing is pretty tight in this exam as I'm sure you know.

I've found that reading Lynch has helped me massively. The detail is not as important as having predetermined ideas about how you will answer a certain question though. E.g. If you were to be given a question asking if you agree/disagree that industrialisation was successful in strengthening the USSR by 1941, if you know your topic you can immediately formulate an indtroduction and planning time can therefore be reduced. You can note down agree and disagree points and are likely to have more of the former than the latter in this case. Then you are in a position to argue why being stronger economically and militarily was more important to the Soviets than improving living standards. You might say that the Second Revolution never set out to improve living standards, because in Soviet Russia the needs of the individual were effectively subordinated to the needs of the collective as determined by the State. You might conclude that the industrialisation drive had created a war economy that was ultimately successful in out-competing and ultimately defeating the formidable Nazi war machine, therefore protecting the socio-economic base it had created for the eventual transition into communism.

These are ideas that i think it is important to have to avoid getting carried away with detail that is not useful in your analysis of the question. Oh yeah and read mark schemes too! Source questions caught me out when i first did this exam. If you know what the examiner wants you are more likely to be able to deliver it.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting this as well, anyone got any idea as to what might come up??:confused:

ReputationRep:
    do you think stalinism will come up this year? ( like use of propaganda etc) I don't really like this topic :/

ReputationRep:
    I think it'll be Leadership, Industrialisation and Terror. There was a 24 mark question Stalinism last year, and leadership has come up on every exam paper I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how many historical interpretations you need to put in a 24 mark (source and factual)? Also, can you include interpretations, or just quotes from other historians, in a 12 mark factual, or is that not needed? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone, how did the exam go for today?

I hope it went well for everyone and goodluck in the rest of your exams

ReputationRep:
    Think it went well, Terror and Stalin's rise to power were a good selection

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.