Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA of Mice and Men historical context watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need help on historical context, I have no idea what to write about it and how to blend in to the paragraph.
    If anyone sends me a B+ full paragraph, I'd really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    You should do some research on the ranch workers, the american dream, violence, sexism... I can't remember the rest.
    Basically, it would help if you find or borrow a textbook and look at the context and for each theme in the book, try add some quotes and explain how the context is shown through the theme.. If that makes sense..

To write fluently with context included, perhaps you should be like explaining the quote and then going on to the context afterwards. Like "this reflects society in the 1930s bc...."

Practise writing with context and it will go more smoothly and you'll also remember stuff on it

ReputationRep:
    oh and btw... is that bts in your icon l0l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisaah)
    You should do some research on the ranch workers, the american dream, violence, sexism... I can't remember the rest.
    Basically, it would help if you find or borrow a textbook and look at the context and for each theme in the book, try add some quotes and explain how the context is shown through the theme.. If that makes sense..

To write fluently with context included, perhaps you should be like explaining the quote and then going on to the context afterwards. Like "this reflects society in the 1930s bc...."

Practise writing with context and it will go more smoothly and you'll also remember stuff on it
    ok thank you so much!!
    and yh they're the first kpop band i got into <3
    you into kpop as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animeamanda1412)
    I need help on historical context, I have no idea what to write about it and how to blend in to the paragraph.
    If anyone sends me a B+ full paragraph, I'd really appreciate it
    The historical context is very similar to the themes; just mentioning racism, sexism, disability discrimination, the American Dream, migrant work, ranch work, the great depression etc. counts as context. So incorporating this is as simple as saying, 'Steinbeck cleverly suggests that women are treat as possessions on the ranch by ensuring that the only major female character in the novel is never given a name, and is instead referred to using the passive phrase 'Curley's Wife' throughout. This use of possessive language implies that Curley's Wife is only relevant in relation to her husband, which reflects the highly sexist views that were commonplace in 1930's America. As such, the audience responds sympathetically to Curley's Wife because the treatment of her and other women by the ranch workers in the novel would be unacceptable in modern times.'

Point: Steinbeck suggests women are treat as possessions
    Evidence: 'Curley's Wife'
    Explain: suggests she is only relevant in relation to her husband; never given a name
    Context: reflects the highly sexist views that were commonplace in 1930's America
    Key Word: sexist, ranch workers
    Language Feature: possessive language
    Effect on Audience: responds sympathetically

I hope that helps a bit (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptErin)
    The historical context is very similar to the themes; just mentioning racism, sexism, disability discrimination, the American Dream, migrant work, ranch work, the great depression etc. counts as context. So incorporating this is as simple as saying, 'Steinbeck cleverly suggests that women are treat as possessions on the ranch by ensuring that the only major female character in the novel is never given a name, and is instead referred to using the passive phrase 'Curley's Wife' throughout. This use of possessive language implies that Curley's Wife is only relevant in relation to her husband, which reflects the highly sexist views that were commonplace in 1930's America. As such, the audience responds sympathetically to Curley's Wife because the treatment of her and other women by the ranch workers in the novel would be unacceptable in modern times.'

Point: Steinbeck suggests women are treat as possessions
    Evidence: 'Curley's Wife'
    Explain: suggests she is only relevant in relation to her husband; never given a name
    Context: reflects the highly sexist views that were commonplace in 1930's America
    Key Word: sexist, ranch workers
    Language Feature: possessive language
    Effect on Audience: responds sympathetically

I hope that helps a bit (:
    damn that helped alot..
    Thanks so much bro!!

ReputationRep:
    In section B do you have to explain quotes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oinkpig)
    In section B do you have to explain quotes
    i have to explain each quote i use in any section

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animeamanda1412)
    ok thank you so much!!
    and yh they're the first kpop band i got into <3
    you into kpop as well?
    yeah I am into kpop!! bts are my most favourite group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisaah)
    yeah I am into kpop!! bts are my most favourite group
    same!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 21, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.