Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    According to Solzhenitsyn, sleep deprivation was used by the NKVD to soften up prisoners for interrogation. Once past a week of not sleeping, apparently youkind of enter a catatonic state where you don't need to anymore.

So no-one try and repeat Gallagher's "feat", OK?
    That's like saying "no-one hyperventilate" - everyone knows that it's really fun.

Drink-a-long-a-"Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring" : Drink every time they say "Ring" or the theme music plays. That was drunken.

ReputationRep:
    Or: Drink along to American college movies. Every time someone says "frat", "fraternity", "baseball", "football", or (by the end) any particularly American word, you drink.

The only down side to the LotR drinking game is that it takes a 3 hour slice from your life.

The other variant I've heard of is that everyone takes a character's name out of a hat, and every time that character is seen on screen or mentioned by name that person drinks. Everyone drinks whenever the Ring is mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    The only down side to the LotR drinking game is that it takes a 3 hour slice from your life.

The other variant I've heard of is that everyone takes a character's name out of a hat, and every time that character is seen on screen or mentioned by name that person drinks. Everyone drinks whenever the Ring is mentioned.
    Haha - fantastic. Futurama - drink whenever you see Bender drinking.

One that sticks in mind is drink-along-a Remember the Titans (an american football movie): drink whenever there's a butt-slapping or it goes slo-mo. Apparently it goes slo-mo a lot, particularly slomo-action-slomo-action in quick succession.

ReputationRep:
    I challenge anyone to the withnail and I drinking game next term. We could also do a Wagner's ring cycle drinking game (they have DVDs in the Seeley) where you drink everytime you hear your selected leitmotiv.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    I challenge anyone to the withnail and I drinking game next term.
    You have to do a bit of training (like seven pints a night for a few months) before doing the Withnail and I drinking game.

Even then I don't think I could handle the meths (particularly as it's at the start so you'd taste it).

ReputationRep:
    I challenge anyone to the withnail and I drinking game next term. We could also do a Wagner's ring cycle drinking game (they have DVDs in the Seeley) where you drink everytime you hear your selected leitmotiv.

MB
    I don't think such a drinking game would be fair for those who have no idea what a leitmotiv sounds like :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    I don't think such a drinking game would be fair for those who have no idea what a leitmotiv sounds like :p:
    lol, a leitmotiv is just a short bit of music (normally just a few notes or a recognisable rhythmic figure) that comes to represent something in the drama, so there's a ring motiv, and siegfried motiv, and a sword motiv, etc.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Though you'd have to remain sober enough to hear the music.

ReputationRep:
    lol, a leitmotiv is just a short bit of music (normally just a few notes or a recognisable rhythmic figure) that comes to represent something in the drama, so there's a ring motiv, and siegfried motiv, and a sword motiv, etc.

MB
    so like the "dum dum dum" at the end of eastenders?

ReputationRep:
    I think Wagner would turn in his grave if he heard you compare his music to Eastenders

ReputationRep:
    argh, I think I might just give in to all this pressure and join facebook - I've almost had enough of people stressing me about not being on it!

ReputationRep:
    willa, do you want a degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    argh, I think I might just give in to all this pressure and join facebook - I've almost had enough of people stressing me about not being on it!
    Yeah join, you know you don't want a first this year.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I'm heading that way as it is......I have done next to no work this holiday thanks to my rowing training just tiring me out.

ReputationRep:
    ergh... just to say ergh...

ReputationRep:
    Isn't an erg also a type of desert?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveee)
    Isn't an erg also a type of desert?
    No, it's a form of masochism.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Oh, oh, oh... you've reminded me of my joke!

Sado-Classicists! Ha.

OK, I'll get my coat...

ReputationRep:
    :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Come on, surely it wasn't THAT bad?

OK, it was.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.