The Student Room Group
I haven't made use of any of the aforementioned services either. In fact before coming coming to Cam, I thought CUSU was the same as the Cambridge Union Society. :redface:
minimo
I haven't made use of any of the aforementioned services either. In fact before coming coming to Cam, I thought CUSU was the same as the Cambridge Union Society. :redface:

You don't know how many people AT Cambridge still think that!! When trying to get into a debate or speaker meeting with a friend - "I thought I automatically became a member when I came to Cambridge?" :rolleyes:
synaesthesia
You don't know how many people AT Cambridge still think that!! When trying to get into a debate or speaker meeting with a friend - "I thought I automatically became a member when I came to Cambridge?" :rolleyes:
Do you have to be a member of the union to get to watch speakers and stuff or do you just have to pay some kind of extortionate fee?
Reply 20763
Willa
hmmmm, well, where I stand on the matter is: it was probably a little sneeky of them to not consult the rest of the officers, but ultimately what they are proposing is a referendum on what many will consider to be two important points. When you say that you fear people won't understand the issues, this worries me because it makes me think that CUSU see the student population as a group of people incapable of making the correct decision about the future of their union. It sounds like you fear ignorance on our part, and that the major CUSU decisions should be made internally - which is interesting because you also say you fear it being seen as petty internal politics: to me it looks like you are afraid of letting an student wide point break out of internal politics.

So ok, supposing these two points do end up as a referendum, perhaps it really isn't all a bad thing, whatever the outcome. When it comes to the list of things that general students get to have a say over, most don't care what the result is, and hence most probably don't get involved in the decision making. However, if a lot of people genuinely think these two points are important, then they will surely act to make the right decision. And if you don't think people understand the issues involved, or even don't understand the importance of the two points under discussion, perhaps it's about time that those who are "in the know" actually did something about it and tried to educate the student population. Perhaps this is the perfect opportunity for women's officers everywhere to convince everyone of their worth and importance!

I'm not trying to attack you, I just don't fully get why you fear these two decisions going all the way to the student population?
I have to go to a meeting so will reply to this properly later, but just wanted to clarify.

Firstly, I'm happy for reform to come if it is the product of widespread consultation. The fact is that 3 officers of a union of 18,000 sat down and decided how they wanted to reform the exec, giving more power to the sabbatical officers rather than the members of the CUSU exec with specific campaigning portfolios. The constitution is specific when it says that part-time exec should be more important than sabbs. DPC is meant to consult CUSU Council (JCR Presidents and Externals) to find out what changes they want to see - this has NOT happened. The proposals are ill thought-out and should have been discussed before being proposed as motions to CUSU Council. They are not perfect and need to be clarified in consultation with members of the union rather than being a decision made by its staff.

Secondly, the women's sabbatical motion should not come to Council because it is unconstitutional, and I would expect the President and two former Council Chairs to have known that. As such, I'm not even going to enter into a debate on it, because it is a decision which only the Women's Union can make. I will say, though, that the other autonomous campaigns were not consulted and do not support this motion. This motion also goes directly against Walsh's manifesto pledges.

So, in summary, the motions came without a mandate, go beyond their remit, are unconstitutional and break manifesto pledges. Three people who can't speak to the other three people who work in their building, let alone the rest of their executive committee (whose mandate is equally democratic to theirs) or the sovereign body of their union, should not be allowed to continue in their positions. CUSU is meant to be a democracy, and they have made a mockery of it.
Reply 20764
but keeping in mind that this is still a democracy, the act of proposing a change can't be so damning, as long as a suitable number of people can make the decision on whether or not to act on the proposal. I, like many, don't really know the workings of CUSU, and so don't know who will ultimately have the final say. But as long as the decision doesn't lie in the hands of a select few, I can't see why the matter can not be resolved (i.e. by the majority voting against the proposal).

surely a democracy should allow for a freedom to propose changes, no matter what they are....because it can be easily argued that the proposal is a ridiculous one, and then soon forgotten. You have given plenty of reasons as to why these proposals should not be allowed through, so I can't see why that wont be the final outcome?
A few people thinking up some sort of proposal/plan can be equally thought as conspiracy.
Alaric, is Immad the guy did the hardware thingy project?
Reply 20767
Camford
Alaric, is Immad the guy did the hardware thingy project?

Yep.
Supermerp
Do you have to be a member of the union to get to watch speakers and stuff or do you just have to pay some kind of extortionate fee?

One pays for either yearly/life membership which gives free access to almost all events (I'm probably going to drink my way through my worth of champagne at the tasting :p:). Otherwise if you're at Cambridge, you can't attend period bar some of the Ents.
A certain friend of mine actually did his whole date in character as Sherlock Holmes. I pity the poor girl (though she did make a fairly rapid exit).

Through the toilet window, if my anonymous source is to be believed...

Don't worry, you're form won't be as bad as mine!!!

I think it is... I'v ehad to circle "Desparate" under "relationship status"... more coercion from friends. It will be a good laugh, though. Perhaps I should bribe the reps to get Helen? :biggrin: No, actually, I'm not brave enough... :wink:

Spoiler

Well Helen's taken...
Yes it does. I'll pm a certain mod...
Reply 20772
FadeToBlackout
I think it is... I'v ehad to circle "Desparate" under "relationship status"... more coercion from friends. It will be a good laugh, though. Perhaps I should bribe the reps to get Helen? :biggrin: No, actually, I'm not brave enough... :wink:

That's the most positive aspect of my form, I was slightly drunk when I filled it in, and had mates trying to make it worse, but they couldn't work out how. Let's put it this way, "Describe your self in 5 words:" 3 of mine are, loud, drunk and northern. As for where you'd have your date, how you'd get there and what you don't want, my reply was everythig on the location and transport, with I'm that desperate written underneath, and no things I don't want as I'm too desperate to be fussy. Beat that!

I'm mates with the rag rep and has told me I'm either a 1/10 (possibly 2 if they're are some people who are really rubbish) or a 10/10 just to annoy some nice, attractive girl.
apd35

I'm mates with the rag rep and has told me I'm either a 1/10 (possibly 2 if they're are some people who are really rubbish) or a 10/10 just to annoy some nice, attractive girl.

Tell DJ that you're def. at least a 2 :rolleyes: I know that other Trin Mathmos have applied, and they're less attractive than you by far :wink:
Reply 20774
synaesthesia
Tell DJ that you're def. at least a 2 :rolleyes: I know that other Trin Mathmos have applied, and they're less attractive than you by far :wink:

So sweet, but their forms weren't as bad as mine, ask Dave if you can see mine, you shoulg be able to wangle it, he's Paul's room-mate, it's comedy. As I said, I could be a 10 for sheer comedy value, also, RAG blind date isn't about pulling, it's about charideee!
Reply 20775
If anyone wants a laugh tomorrow (today, Sunday), go to fitz plaong fields the Trinity XV are playing Slaughter and May (a law firm) at rugby, kick off at 1200. So if you want to see me get smacked (always attractive to people for some reason) come along and watch.
I'm just back from choir practice. I you are walking down Green Street and hear anyone belting out Elgar, it';ll be me in my room.
TSR is buggy...
Uggh, TSR looks funny. :frown:
FadeToBlackout

Unlikely to happen, seeing as we're in the same college! I'm not actually doing it this year, as a friend has cleverly arranged a formal for that night, which although slightly annoying, will work out cheaper than going on a date with a guy I'm not after!

Latest

Trending

Trending