Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is when some cynical git say "you should never trust statistics". And guess what? He's right.

ReputationRep:
    thing is i KNOW i wont get the sort of results i want because the relationship i'm looking at is a long term trend but you only get short term data ie the last 50 yrs online. where am i supposed to get figures for money supply in 1880??!! aaaargh wish i was a an english student.

ReputationRep:
    OK, today is going well. i dragged myself from bed at 8 am, earliest for ages, had a walk through town in the sun- it's oh so pretty, photos posted later- possibly!- and read for 3 hours. I'm off for lunch, more reading, and then to the backs for reading again. But in a nice environment.

It could, I suppose, be worse! But it could be better, too... I mena, I could be here with other people, not on my own!

ReputationRep:
    wanna meet up to read? i'm having problems with motivation..

ReputationRep:
    I'd certainly be up for a bit of a communal studying session. Bound to be less productive than studying alone, but frankly a little more bearable. All I'm doing is making myself more and more coffee at the moment, which whilst very tasty and making me very perky isn't very good for getting work done.

ReputationRep:
    ok... and where is this study session to happen? i'm thinking basement of starbucks.. yay or nae? though probably wouldn't help you avoid the coffee. at any rate, i will be there at 3, should anyone want to join me x

ReputationRep:
    Update:
    My data is showing a strong negative trend whenit is supposed to display a strong positive one. Id like to think ive made a mammoth discovery in economics but somehow i dont think milton friendman - the guy who won a nobel prize is wrong

ReputationRep:
    are you sure you're not missing a minus sign somewhere or something silly like that? I find that's often the case when I spend hours doing something without much success...:

ReputationRep:
    OK, there are times when being a nice person goes a little bit too far...

Picture the scene. Clare Fellow's Guarden. I'm sitting down to read my book, do some studying. I'm on the 45 degree slope by the river, as its comfortable to lie on. There's a couple of Japanese tourists over on my left. They take a lot of photos on their camera. They put the camera down on the slope. It starts to roll down towards the river... and falls in.

So what does muggins here do? He takes off his jumper and sticks his arm in teh water up to his shoulder to get it back.

He succeeds. Hoorah.

Presents dripping camera to tourists; they laugh delightedly; people on punt who watched the whole thing cheer; I feel like a hero. Huzzah.

Mind you, if it had been certain female students dropping things I would have done a Darcy and gone in after it...

Update: My arm smells not very nice. Oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    You probably want to wash that, before you get typhoid or something.

ReputationRep:
    "Certain female students"? ^o)

ReputationRep:
    say what f00'?

ReputationRep:
    Woooo, my results are finally making a leetle bit more sense!!!
    And I think I've managed to includee some original thought.
    Awwww, FTB!! Very chivalrous

ReputationRep:
    Don't be harsh now boys!

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't being harsh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    are you sure you're not missing a minus sign somewhere or something silly like that? I find that's often the case when I spend hours doing something without much success...:
    I realised that if I excluded exogenous shocks and inserted a time lag, it made more sense it's on the relationship between money supply and rate of inflation, so often high levels of inflation will not solely be the result of increases in the money supply although monetarist theory posits that is the sole reason behind high inflation rates. Eg, oil shocks etc will cause unexplained variance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    I wasn't being harsh!
    I was teasing, you know me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I was teasing, you know me.
    Say woot!? :wtf:

ReputationRep:
    eh?
    I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    Hrm. I sort of wish you had left the camera in the river. I've had SO many people staring into my window this weekend, I can't believe it. Ok, when you pass a lighted ground floor window your gaze automatically falls on it. You can't help that. However, when you see that somebody is sitting at their desk doing work isn't it normal to avert your gaze, rather than continue staring at them, and then alerting their presence to your partner/child/pet? Graaah!

Edit: I did pop to Starbucks, Selena, but couldn't find you anywhere. Returned home to do work with far cheaper coffee.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.