Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Possibly...

Anyway, my new supervisor for European history is very nice. We only ahve on average 4 or 5 books and articles to read a week, rather than the 10 or so previously. She want's us to do "more thinking" about the topics, not regurgitating other people's ideas. Sounds good to me!

Oh, and i'm going to become a boatie- coxing the woman's fourth boat.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it James! Boatie-ing damages your liver and in excessive quantites can prove fatal.

ReputationRep:
    urgh...someone has given me freshers flu! I've been stuck in bed all day, and I've been trying to get the work done which i have to have done for tomorrow (which i should have done in the holiday) but i can't concentrate. i'm feeling a bit better now but still nowhere near 100% - i've had to miss rowing, and if i do end up going to my supervision tomorrow i'm gonna have a tough time excusing myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    Anyway, my new supervisor for European history is very nice. We only ahve on average 4 or 5 books and articles to read a week, rather than the 10 or so previously. She want's us to do "more thinking" about the topics, not regurgitating other people's ideas. Sounds good to me!
    A good way of approaching it is to do 4 days of reading on the topic without knowing what your question is, then look at the question and do half a day of specific reading for it followed by half a day of planning for the essay, then spend a day writing the essay. This way you're prepared for the topic as well as your weekly essay, you're doing proper planning and are thinking about what you've read, and you're writing a very good essay. If you handwrite it you're doing even better. And you even get a day off.

ReputationRep:
    Believe it or not, you and my DoS gave exactly the same advice. Thus Ticki is wise beyond her years!

Anyway, thanks a lot for that. I need to really get my study habits into order...

Edit: I'm spending about 18 hours this weekend in Cellars doing techieing and about 6 in teh ADC. Oh, fun fun fun... have I proven myself masochistic enough to row?

ReputationRep:
    Believe it or not, you and my DoS gave exactly the same advice. Thus Ticki is wise beyond her years!
    I wish I'd had that advice! I'm glad it's good though - I made it up myself from hearing about the advice my friends had been given, how my finalist friends think they could have done better, and from reading the guidelines for history supervisors. Maybe I'll email your DoS and tell him he's doing a good job...

ReputationRep:
    have just realised that i have to organise a party for 60 people for tomorrow! eep! i'm Secretary of ASF Cambridge, and our Events Manager should be doing it, but is mysteriously unreachable. so its up to me! eeeeeeeeeeee

ReputationRep:

Anyway, thanks a lot for that. I need to really get my study habits into order...

Edit: I'm spending about 18 hours this weekend in Cellars doing techieing and about 6 in teh ADC. Oh, fun fun fun... have I proven myself masochistic enough to row?
    Oh god, not cellars james, please?

I need to work this weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Saturday there's a bop, and Sunday an Hispanic festival. Nowt I can do about it apart from keep the volume reasonably low... they will both be over by 12:30 though.

I'm sorry, I'm just the technical monkey who makes it work, I don't plan the events. You could always foist yourself upon a certain person who would be more than willing, I assume, to put you up until the music stops.

Oh, and it looks like I'm going to be simualtaneously techieing at King's for a charity gig and a bop at Clare- i.e. running between teh two. At least it's not Clare and the Kambar simualtaneously...

ReputationRep:
    We have a bop on Saturday?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Isn't our new Social Sec hugely organised?

ReputationRep:
    So what's everyone up to this eve/ wkend?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Isn't our new Social Sec hugely organised?
    Has there been a UCS e-mail? I haven't seen it.

ReputationRep:
    One's just gone out.
    So what's everyone up to this eve/ wkend?
    Well, it turns up that I've got a weekly essay that I didn't think I had, and so I need to get a load of background reading out the way before starting for that...

Which European paper are you doing? Or did you do one before like Rhi?

ReputationRep:
    damn it, looks like emma came second in the head of the cam....a decent result, although if the times that are being quoted (not from official source) are to be believed, caius were 8 seconds faster than us, and we were only a second faster than christs, and only 10 seconds faster than our second boat (big congrats to emma 2 in that case, who if the result is correct are a lot faster than I thought, and clearly the fastest second boat on the water). I was hoping to have been a bit further from the rest of the field. Oh well, hopefully we'll have plenty more opportunities to show what we've got

ReputationRep:
    I take it you're back in Emma M1 then Will? Are we chasing you again this year?

ReputationRep:
    chasing isn't really the word for it.....think "sitting" and "puddles" :p:

(now that i've said that we'll get bumped!)

ReputationRep:
    boaty boaty boaty

ReputationRep:
    Right, who in here are up for purchasing torpedos?

ReputationRep:
    to blow stuff up?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.