Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    James - I just remembered what your avatar is!

What-a-mess! yay! i used to love those books as a kid!

xx

ReputationRep:
    So Rhian is going for the mental health officer...

... ... ... ...

I could use some help if she gets the job.
    -----------------

rethink. the voting was yesterday... are the results in yet?

ReputationRep:
    OOO I'm going to be going to Trinity May Ball after all!!!!

ReputationRep:
    That article up there sums it up perfectly. I'm sure I can form my general irritation and anger into something a little more constructive at some point.

I have to be honest and say that I have never once gone to Life, but given the kind of promotional material they give out it's no surprise.

On the front:
    Some design involving a disco ball and a beam of light, but quite clearly to my eyes meant to be phallic.

On the back:
    Pink background.
    Logo is a pair of pink glittery lips.
    Tag line is "From the team that brought you [the last LBGT night] - Cambridge's first weekly LBGT night is back, in prettier shoes!"

Seriously -- what were they thinking? Apparently the promotional material has nothing to do with CUSU LBGT, they seem to have pretty much sold the right to their backing without asking any questions. Between this and the "Drag Themed Ball" during the "awareness week" last term, my opinion is fairly low...

ReputationRep:
    Mini moan: Not rowing on Saturday, they've found another cox.

Anti moan: I may end up coxing the W2 at some point next week. How much do i get if i drown Helen? Or at least, crash her into a tree a bit...

ReputationRep:
    aww, fart to that! and i was going to come and laugh at you!

ReputationRep:
    argh, they've accepted me for the MIT exchange....now i've got to make the choice! I really want to go, but I really want to stay as well. There's so much stuff I want to do here in cambridge, but MIT really is such an opportunity. What do i do!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    argh, they've accepted me for the MIT exchange....now i've got to make the choice! I really want to go, but I really want to stay as well. There's so much stuff I want to do here in cambridge, but MIT really is such an opportunity. What do i do!?
    do you get to do another year in cambridge afterwards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    OOO my mate from Trinity has been accepted as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amateurish)
    do you get to do another year in cambridge afterwards?
    yes....but there's still a lot of stuff that is kind of specific to next year. Such as trialing again: I would really like to do it again since I think they stand a really good shot at winning which would kill not to be a part of. I'm gonna have to trial again at some point, I can't not do it again, to leave my boat race record at "lost" is just lame.

ReputationRep:
    By your presence here this early, I guess you're coming to Bedford too. Good luck, see you there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)
    That article up there sums it up perfectly. I'm sure I can form my general irritation and anger into something a little more constructive at some point.

I have to be honest and say that I have never once gone to Life, but given the kind of promotional material they give out it's no surprise.

On the front:
    Some design involving a disco ball and a beam of light, but quite clearly to my eyes meant to be phallic.

On the back:
    Pink background.
    Logo is a pair of pink glittery lips.
    Tag line is "From the team that brought you [the last LBGT night] - Cambridge's first weekly LBGT night is back, in prettier shoes!"

Seriously -- what were they thinking? Apparently the promotional material has nothing to do with CUSU LBGT, they seem to have pretty much sold the right to their backing without asking any questions. Between this and the "Drag Themed Ball" during the "awareness week" last term, my opinion is fairly low...
    i understand your complaints and unless they're a total scene queen it's inevitable anybody is going to resent that a bit, but genuinely with the new promoters, the new way it's being done is much better than when CUSU were doing it.

yes it's camp, yes it's cliquey, but at least life doesn't have the overwhelming *****iness you get in other cities, if you went out in canal street manchester without designer everything you'd be demolished, that's not true for life. and for a lot of people who do want to be in a proper gay scene, life's the best thing they have without going to london.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    By your presence here this early, I guess you're coming to Bedford too. Good luck, see you there!
    saw you racing along as we were waiting for our second race....but against a mens boat, so i can only assume to had a by.

First race went really quite well, good stuff to beat jesus! But our second race against a jesus-linacre composite boat didn't go so well....our start was slower than theirs (but it isn't the fastest around anyway), but when we settled after 40 seconds we were gaining on them I think, but then they made their big push and moved out to 3/4 of a length. Then we were about to make our last minute push when we hit a buoy and the 3 man boat-stopper crabbed because of this. We had to stop the boat and by then it was all over. I dunno if we would have gone on to win that race tbh, but you never know how effective our last push could have been...when we did it the race before we took half a length on jesus.

ReputationRep:
    I should probably put in an answer on the LBGT stuff. Now, I don't really know a huge amount about CUSU LBGT (probably because I'm not LBGT myself), but all I can say is that by all acounts Olly Glover did an impeccable job. There were moans throughout last year about rather a lack of activity from the LBGT Ents officer though. The situation this term is weird as CUSU lost control of the Tuesday nights at Life and whilst there is still a student price, there is no officual control by CUSU LBGT - this seems to be a result of a lack of communication by certain peeople but I honestly don't know the details. In terms of being angry, why not get yourself involved rather than just critical. I'm critically involved in CUSU and hence do something useful with my anger.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    I should probably put in an answer on the LBGT stuff. Now, I don't really know a huge amount about CUSU LBGT (probably because I'm not LBGT myself), but all I can say is that by all acounts Olly Glover did an impeccable job. There were moans throughout last year about rather a lack of activity from the LBGT Ents officer though. The situation this term is weird as CUSU lost control of the Tuesday nights at Life and whilst there is still a student price, there is no officual control by CUSU LBGT - this seems to be a result of a lack of communication by certain peeople but I honestly don't know the details. In terms of being angry, why not get yourself involved rather than just critical. I'm critically involved in CUSU and hence do something useful with my anger.

MB
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    saw you racing along as we were waiting for our second race....but against a mens boat, so i can only assume to had a by.

First race went really quite well, good stuff to beat jesus! But our second race against a jesus-linacre composite boat didn't go so well....our start was slower than theirs (but it isn't the fastest around anyway), but when we settled after 40 seconds we were gaining on them I think, but then they made their big push and moved out to 3/4 of a length. Then we were about to make our last minute push when we hit a buoy and the 3 man boat-stopper crabbed because of this. We had to stop the boat and by then it was all over. I dunno if we would have gone on to win that race tbh, but you never know how effective our last push could have been...when we did it the race before we took half a length on jesus.
    Yes, I was quite pleased to see you guys beat Jesus

We had problems because our stroke girl sprained her ankle the night before, so we had to find a sub and then shift a girl into the stroke seat who'd never been there before. As a result, our first start was totally *******ated, our 6 girl caught a crab on the 3rd stroke and it was downhill from there. However, we had a good rowover in the next round and actually remembered how to row together which was good! That was probably the one you saw - we were "racing" a Pembroke College, Oxford men's crew, whose opposition also hadn't showed up, so they set off the pair of us together.

The next few rounds we kept getting byes because of people scratching so somehow we ended up in the plate semi-final and the S4 semi! Our plate race was against St. Anne's, Oxford, and it was reeeeally close but we managed to win by half a length, though it was sooooo painful! We lost the final to CCAT A but we tried. All in all it was a fun day, although I hadn't expected to be there that long!

Also got Steve Redgrave's autograph :cool: :adore:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Also got Steve Redgrave's autograph :cool: :adore:

!! I didn't know steve was there!?

Well done on beating the oxford crew though, I've tried a couple of times now but failed on all occasions :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    !! I didn't know steve was there!?
    Sir Redgrave to you!

(Original post by Willa)
    Well done on beating the oxford crew though, I've tried a couple of times now but failed on all occasions :p:
    Oh well, there's always next year.

ReputationRep:
    my tutor sent us an email saying that now the weather is a bit ****, there's no excuse not to work

ReputationRep:
    if i go to america, i wont get to have a go next year! And also I've just been looking at the calendar, and it seems that even trying to row may bumps in the first boat next year would be pretty tough, since i wouldn't be back in cambridge until the end of may, so i would have to convince next year's captain to make a change to his first boat only 2 weeks before may bumps. That's certainly do-able for lents, but mays is a different matter entirely.

argh what do i do! I want to go to america, I want to experience a year studying over there, but it disrupts my "comfort zone" that I have over here. I just want to know that I can make the transition from here to there and back again, but I can't be sure.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.