Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    made a little trip down to cambridge 2day :cool:

dont wanna tempt fate tho by assuming im gonna get my grades, but my parents wanna be positive why do i feel its gonna end up in disaster?

ReputationRep:
    hi rockindemon haven't seen you for a while!

BE POSITIVE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockindemon)
    made a little trip down to cambridge 2day :cool:

dont wanna tempt fate tho by assuming im gonna get my grades, but my parents wanna be positive why do i feel its gonna end up in disaster?
    I wish my mum were more positive, she's worse than me! My sister is flying out to Australia on the 18th and mum's taking her to Heathrow, she had planned to stay over with friends in Reading but she announced this evening she'd drive back to 'be there for Katie & pick up the pieces so we can sort something out & calm her down' I'm not going to spontaneously combust if it's not straight As! Results are a touchy subject in this house. I'm slightly competitive with my older sister and she dropped on all her 3 A-levels and got in to do medicine by the skin of her teeth at her first choice but she still takes great pleasure in telling me how I'm messing up my life by doing Archaeology & how, no matter where I study it, I'll always be second brains-wise to her! I don't care what I get as long as it's better than Amy's & it gets me into an Archaeology course!
    Anyone else having days where there's no hope of making their offer followed by days when they're quietly confident? The number confident days is dwindling rapidly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    i'm still looking at bank accounts, but you're right, hsbc's offer is def. worth thinking about!
    All student bank accounts that I'm aware off offer an interest free overdraft, mostly on similar terms. HSBC, who I'm with, give you £1000 in the first year, increasing by £250 a year to £2000 in the 4th year (if you have one). I also got a free five year railcard; not sure if that offers still on though :confused:

Katie - that's awful about your parents, harsh of them! I scared my sister today reminding her it's only 3 weeks till her results come out. But she's been getting retail therapy (all paid for by les parents) all day, which I think calmed her nerves somewhat :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    I'm slightly competitive with my older sister and she dropped on all her 3 A-levels and got in to do medicine by the skin of her teeth at her first choice but she still takes great pleasure in telling me how I'm messing up my life by doing Archaeology & how, no matter where I study it, I'll always be second brains-wise to her! I don't care what I get as long as it's better than Amy's & it gets me into an Archaeology course!
    Ignore your sister. Doing medicine does not make you any more or less intelligent. Some of the most intelligent people I have met at Cambridge are medics, yet he most lazy and drunken person I have met yet is also a medic. The course doesn't prove anything - good luck with archaeology, I'm sure it will be fascinating (being an historian I have an appreciation for such studies).

ReputationRep:
    I don't really mind, sometimes I don't know what's worse, my mum having no faith that I can do it or a Grandma that refuses even the slightest suggestion that I might not make it! I think my mum just thinks (and rightly so) that I didn't work hard enough to get the As, after the all the CW was handed in I let things slide somewhat and ended up in severe revision hell at the end of June!
    As for my sister, I think it shows her insecurity more than anything! Medicine is cool, I have an amazing amount of respect for it, but it's just not for me! (I don't like gore enough or have the calmness to deal with sick people everyday!)
    ASNaC, I agree, fascinating is most definitely the word!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    there's only one girl from my year who got into cam. but shes taking a gap year and is not very nice. :rolleyes: so i won't be keeping in touch with anyone going 2 cam either
    There are 4 other offer holders for Cambridge from my school....and we'll keep in touch....and i also know a coupla people from outside of school who have offers....though some of them not very well..so i don't know how much i'll see them

G

ReputationRep:
    only 1 other offer holder for cam from my school and he's a good friend, so i definitely plan to stay in touch (i will no doubt see him in physics lectures at least I think). 2 of my very close friends have offers for oxford, and I think they'll become less close, but hopefully still remain friends. Then apart from that, I'm only gonna stay in contact with one person at bristol and one or two going to warrick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    only 1 other offer holder for cam from my school and he's a good friend, so i definitely plan to stay in touch (i will no doubt see him in physics lectures at least I think). 2 of my very close friends have offers for oxford, and I think they'll become less close, but hopefully still remain friends. Then apart from that, I'm only gonna stay in contact with one person at bristol and one or two going to warrick.
    I'm gonna try and keep in touch with fair few people....but inevitably i'll fall out of contact with some of them. But the ones at cambridge i'll keep in touch with definitely, plus one friend at KCL, a few of them on a gap...and i'll speak to them once in a while on msn.

G

ReputationRep:
    ah, i just had a horrid thought that my life is over if i dont get into cambridge. I really really really dont know what i'm gonna do if I dont get the grades, arghh!!
    I bet these thoughts become more regular over the next 13 days!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    ah, i just had a horrid thought that my life is over if i dont get into cambridge. I really really really dont know what i'm gonna do if I dont get the grades, arghh!!
    I bet these thoughts become more regular over the next 13 days!
    I know..same here....it's just this nagging...crap...what's gonna happen if i don't get in!!! i'd be so depressed if that happened....hopefully it won't touch wood!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    Results are a touchy subject in this house. I'm slightly competitive with my older sister and she dropped on all her 3 A-levels and got in to do medicine by the skin of her teeth at her first choice but she still takes great pleasure in telling me how I'm messing up my life by doing Archaeology & how, no matter where I study it, I'll always be second brains-wise to her! I don't care what I get as long as it's better than Amy's & it gets me into an Archaeology course!
    Anyone else having days where there's no hope of making their offer followed by days when they're quietly confident? The number confident days is dwindling rapidly...
    i alternated between days like that all last summer! in the end i kept trying to think about what i might have got for each module, and then turned out to be totally wrong about them all anyway.

don't listen to people who tell you your subject isn't as good as theirs! what would be the point of doing a subject you didn't like, anyway? can't speak for anyone else but i always found the problem with exams for the subjects i didn't like was a lack of motivation rather than anything else. besides, medics don't get the fabulous wessex trip

ReputationRep:
    Well 5 people got Oxbridge offers from my school this year, 2 Cam and 3 Ox, which was pretty weird considering only one got an offer last year and nobody did for the 4 years before that! I don't really know the other person holding a Cam offer, but to be honest I haven't really thought of keeping in contact too much because I'm so worried about getting the grades!

Anyway, one particular coincidence was that my best friend from secondary school moved up to Edinburgh for sixth form, and seeing as we are useless at keeping each other up to date with things (boys will be boys) we ended up both applying for Cam (him medecine, me natsci), at the same college, and both managed to get offers without the other person knowing! Quite a chain of coincidences there I think, but it adds another reason why I MUST get the grades on the 19th!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    Doing medicine does not make you any more or less intelligent.
    This is true of Oxbridge medics but totally non-applicable elsewhere. You would need straight A's to do textiles at Cambridge if they offered it, same as medicine. If you try to tell me I'm less intelligent than the average textiles students from Winchester School of Art, however, I would not be very happy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amateurish)
    i alternated between days like that all last summer! in the end i kept trying to think about what i might have got for each module, and then turned out to be totally wrong about them all anyway.

don't listen to people who tell you your subject isn't as good as theirs! what would be the point of doing a subject you didn't like, anyway? can't speak for anyone else but i always found the problem with exams for the subjects i didn't like was a lack of motivation rather than anything else. besides, medics don't get the fabulous wessex trip

My subject may not be as good as theirs but there is no better subject for me! Or even one that would enthral me as much! What annoys me is her telling me how very 'capable' I am to do medicine therefore assumes that I should...daft logic if you ask me! Science grades at A-level do not automatically convert to good doctors; I'd be a mess! She keeps going on about how it's not late to change courses! Never mind, I suppose I often show the same disregard for those that don't love archaeology (but surely that's only natural anyway!? )

Fabulous Wessex trip??? Tell me more!!! (I know it's in the first term & you travel around but that's all!)

ReputationRep:
    I think I was the only person to get an offer to read medicine out of the people at the college I took the BMAT at. I got a lot higher than everyone on that anyway. Then I look at the results all the other medics on here got and feel really stupid!

Cambridge is on course to take me down a peg or twenty..!

(Original post by polthegael)
    This is true of Oxbridge medics but totally non-applicable elsewhere. You would need straight A's to do textiles at Cambridge if they offered it, same as medicine. If you try to tell me I'm less intelligent than the average textiles students from Winchester School of Art, however, I would not be very happy!
    I think you would find textiles harder than you think.. you not only need practical skills and theoretical knowledge but that artistic "flair". I am sure I would be terrible at textiles!

I don't think we gain anything from ****ging off students who are talented in different areas to ourselves. I think we have to guard against being arrogant just because we have offers for Cambridge/medicine etc.

rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I don't think we gain anything from ****ging off students who are talented in different areas to ourselves. I think we have to guard against being arrogant just because we have offers for Cambridge/medicine etc.

rosie
    Quite right!! There are plenty of people who are good enough to get into Cambridge who didn't get offers for some reason or another..and indeed...university isn't the right path for everyone. Each to his/her own!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    All student bank accounts that I'm aware off offer an interest free overdraft, mostly on similar terms. HSBC, who I'm with, give you £1000 in the first year, increasing by £250 a year to £2000 in the 4th year (if you have one). I also got a free five year railcard; not sure if that offers still on though :confused:

Katie - that's awful about your parents, harsh of them! I scared my sister today reminding her it's only 3 weeks till her results come out. But she's been getting retail therapy (all paid for by les parents) all day, which I think calmed her nerves somewhat :rolleyes:

As I think i've mentioned before I have a twin brother who also has a Cam offer - The ******* has a low offer of ABB and I need AAA. I think it will be quite tough if I don't get in. Not that i'm competitive but I just think i'll feel horrible. I wll stay in touch with a few people (if I get in) but very few of them are from my school.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    I think you would find textiles harder than you think.. you not only need practical skills and theoretical knowledge but that artistic "flair". I am sure I would be terrible at textiles!

rosie
    very true! i did a level textiles (the art one, not technology) and i have to say i found it harder and definitely more work than all my other subjects put together. in fact, before i decided on anthropology i was seriously considering doing foundation art & going to art school...i think different degrees are hard for different reasons. I'm sure i would have found art school a lot tougher than cambridge!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.